Likes Likes:  367
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beerneuring - BAFS 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring - BAFS 2020

Do you like to bike? Do you like beer? If so, this side bet is for you. I refuse to call this a pointless prize because: 1) there are points; and 2) there is nothing pointless about either riding a bike or drinking a beer.

The rules are simple:

1. Ride your bike to a brewery or brewpub. I estimate that there are over 50 breweries or brewpubs that can be reached by bike from DC, over 10 of them are in DC. Some of them have left us since last year (RIP Mad Fox), but there are also new ones (special shout out to Settle Down Easy, though biking their is a bit tricky).
    2. Acquire a beer brewed at that location.
    3. Take a picture of the beer.
    4. Taste the beer.
    5. Post on this thread the picture of the beer, the name of the beer, the location, and a comment about the beer. It can be anything from "tastes mostly like beer" to "the hop aroma contained grapefruit pith and apricot that was matched by a good malt backbone, which added a hint of graham cracker". If any of these are missing from your post, you don't get a point. Rules are rules.
    6. Whomever posts entries from the most number of breweries or brewpubs by the end of Freezing Saddles wins!
    7. You get an extra point if you number each of your posts.
    8. Cider and mead count. Wine, distilled spirits, kombucha, or anything else not beer, cider or mead do not count.
    9. The winner will receive a bottle of beer that reflects the nature of the competition. If only a few participate and the winner had 3 entries, then you will get a good bottle but nothing super special. If the competition is heated and the winner has 30 entries, then I will do my best to get something special.
    10. New Rule - The winner or their proxy must be at the closing happy hour to receive their prize. Otherwise, I will drink your prize.

A few further clarifications:

1. BE SAFE! No riding while under the influence. If you rode your bike to the brewery but find that you need to get a ride or take Metro home, the entry still counts.
    2. You can go to more than one brewery on a ride, but see above.
    3. The beer must be made at that location. Having a 3 Stars at the local bar does not count.
    4. Some brewpubs have more than one location. A trip to each location counts as long as the beer is made at that location.
    5. Keep in mind that this competition is to visit the most number of breweries and brewpubs. Once you visit and have a beer at a brewery or brewpub, then you cannot post another entry for that brewery or brewpub, even if you go back later and try a different beer.
    6. It is not required, but try to go on at least one brewery tour. Fun, educational and you usually get to sample beer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.png 
Views:	153 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	20560

Post Thanks / Like

If I don't win this, I'm willing to be the winner's proxy to pick up the prize (for a commission).

3. Likes jrenaut, Sunyata, Hancockbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any requirement on the size of the beer? Would a 4oz pour still count? Or does it have to be 12-16oz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes josh, awitt, TimmyD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #1

Jan 1, starting the year off right! Caboose's Juicy McJuice Face, a New England IPA. Got some faint peach notes and a good bit of pineyness.

Name:	20200101_125116.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	20576

7. Likes Steve O, sjclaeys, Boomer2U, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lossomes View Post
    Any requirement on the size of the beer? Would a 4oz pour still count? Or does it have to be 12-16oz?
    Some of us have only one liver

9. Likes lossomes liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

(1) Caboose Tavern, Vienna, VA

Schwarzbier (German Black Lager)

Reminds me of Guinness Foreign Extra. Dark, but light and easy to drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes TimmyD, sjclaeys, Boomer2U liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    Some of us have only one liver
    There must be 50 ways to love your liver.

13. Likes bentbike33, Boomer2U, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

#1 - Caboose Tavern

Got the Fog - a hazy New England IPA. It's a solid go-to NE IPA, now available in cans to go.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

15. Likes lossomes, sjclaeys, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring #2

Jan 2 at Aslin in Alexandria. Had Cat Theory, a west coast style IPA. Floral and faint grapefruit. Ok, though not as much of a west coast style as I'd like.

Name:	20200102_172913.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	20598

17. Likes TimmyD, bikedavid, sjclaeys, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beerneuring - BAFS 2020

#BAFS2020beerneuring 001 - Aslin Beer Company (combined with #FS2020tacoloco 001)

I tasted the Doch (amber larger with notes of Carmel & Malt) and the Padrino (imperial stout conditioned on espresso, vanilla and lemon — the later to allegedly “tease your senses”, which worked, because I went back for a 2nd round. Beeradvocate.com rates the Padrino “outstanding” with a score of 92!

I wanted to try the “The Fragile Kind” (the only Pilsner on tap), as I was feeling vulnerable after trying to unsuccessfully navigate Holmes Run Trail in the dark, but it was tapped out!

Aslin is the place to go for IPAs, which don’t tickle my feather as I’m not about the hop.

Note: all thanks due to @cbganimal and @reji who extended the invitation to join their families to go biking and drink beer (and eat tacos ). They also safely steered me home and AWAY from the Holmes Run Trail!!

Additional note: Aslin (Alexandria) is not located in a very bike friendly hood (off of Pickett, off of Van Doren!:-0), but are súper bike friendly once you get there as you can bring your bike right inside the cavernous tasting room ... which is great, since there is zero bike parking outside (useless you use their exterior railing, which then obstructs other’s access to the tasting room).

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boomer2U; 01-03-2020 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Gratitude Attribution

19. Likes sjclaeys liked this post