Likes Likes:  142
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: TACOS TACOS TACOS - This ainít no burrito pointless prize ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Default TACOS TACOS TACOS - This ainít no burrito pointless prize ride.

Taqueria El Sol on 11th Ave NW in the Shaw section of DC took 4th place in the 2019 WaPo foodie review (and former WaPo 2016 taco champ).
    I ordered ďla GordaĒ because I was real hungry and they looked fat, like a taco on steroids. And it did not disappoint in terms of taste, quality nor quantity. But my senses may have been heighten by the passion fruit margaritas. We also had 2X portions of guacamole and chips

I went to bribe the sponsor of this pointless prize because @bikedavid is outpacing me on riding his bike to woof down tacos like nobodyís business. Desperate measures are warranted the last week of FS2020. We also celebrated the return to DC of the @IrishGorilla, the ultimate domestique of our former Bike2theBeach team.
    There is a bike rack right outside, but it was in use, so I used a street sign post instead.

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boomer2U; 03-15-2020 at 09:24 PM.

2. Likes bikedavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Taco Bamba ranked #8 in WaPoís 2019 survey because ď... prefers complexity with its tacos nuestros, which vary by location.Ē

As such, I tried their proprietary Spicy ĎShroom, Arabe (chicken) and San Diehhhgo (fish) tacos w/ a dark larger to put the fire out from the spice in the shrooms (which could be a ďsweatyĒ taco, hijole)

But as critiqued by WaPo, Taco Bambaís shells are a bit on the thick side, and tend to drown out the goodness of their contents.
    I left my bike outside in the front patio where I could keep an eye on it, but did not see any nearby bike racks in this suburban strip mall.

Last edited by Boomer2U; 03-15-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Gringos & Mariachis in Potomac MD today w/ @CarlHenn after our DIY half-century ride. He had the shrimp tacos on blue corn tortillas, and I had their unique duck confit tacos. Two thumbs up! And their tattoo-inspired mural art is outstanding, too!!
    Nowhere to park/lock up bikes, but the manager did say that we could bring them inside if we wanted (which we didnít as they were racked on Carlís SUV which we could see in the parking lot from our dining table)

Last edited by Boomer2U; 03-15-2020 at 09:21 PM.

5. Likes CBGanimal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Todayís taco ride was to El Patron on Lee Hwy in the little city of Falls Church, following a 40ish mile ride with Carl & Edwin out/back the W&OD westward + a loop in Reston.
    El Patrůn used to be Blancaís, a long term fixture of Salvadorean cuisine in this hood. However Blanca sold out and moved back to her homeland, and the new ownership changed the name and menu to be more Tex-Mex. This was my first visit post-Blanca.
    Fortunately the taco menu hasnít changed, so you can still mix-n-match 3 tacos for $9. I ordered the pastor, carnitas and tinga (pollo) tacos with a fruit cocktail juice (which came with a spoon to eat the freshly chopped fruit!:-). The tacos were great!!
    No bike racks, but you can lean your bike up outside in the set-back parking lot (which is not visible from the street so itís a low theft threat environment) and keep an eye on it through the full length, front window.
    Two-thumbs up (and worth the 4/5 star rating on Google)
    P.S. you have to ask for the really hot sauce;-)

Last edited by Boomer2U; 03-15-2020 at 09:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My last #tacoloco - La Choza of the FS2020 season, and Ode to Cassandra, the Taconeuring Champion!

I had the tacos al carbon de pollo, which were abundantly proportioned, but a tad dry. I was only one of 2 customers and we sat on opposite ends of the spacious dining room (which doubles as a dance floor in better times).

No bike parking, but I locked up to a steel staircase railing.

Post Thanks / Like

Woohoo, so happy to be rewarded for eating my favorite food!!! This competition was so fun, as I typically get tacos solely from my favorite joint (Taqueria Habanero), and this really propelled me to explore some new places that I otherwise probably would have never visited.

I did a terrible job of sharing photos/updates to this thread, so here are a few highlights. Hope we can all share a celebratory round of tacos in the near future!

1.) I found two new spots that serve their tacos on blue corn tortillas (my favorite): Cielo Rojo in Takoma Park (pictured) and Anafre in Petworth (on the same block as Taqueria Habanero and Mezcalero).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	taco2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	21441

2.) Before the recent situation, El Chucho in Columbia Heights was offering a splendid bottomless happy hour: $20 for all you-can-eat tacos, elote and guac/salsa, as well as margaritas and select beers, so I celebrated my birthday with friends there.

Name:	taco4.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	21442

3.) The most adventurous #tacoloco ride I had was taking Capital Bikeshare in the freezing rain to Taqueria del Barrio to get frozen margs with a friend going through a break-up.

Name:	taco3.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	21443

9. Likes bikedavid, josh, Steve O, Boomer2U liked this post