Likes Likes:  48
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize - Ramen Ride

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoM View Post
    #FSsoupyride 1

Northwest Chinese Food, 7313 E Baltimore Ave., Ste E, College Park, MD 20740

Just a few blocks off the Trolley Trail on Route 1, there is a tiny place that serves nothing that you would find in any other Chinese Restaurant or take out place in the Metropolitan DC area. Seriously, if you haven't been go! (Or let us know - Drevil and I can meet you there. .)

I usually get the "Liang Pi" noodles - it's a cold noodle salad with carrots, cucumber, cilantro, peanuts, wheat gluten, and garlic - lots of garlic in a vinegar-based dressing. (So good they often run out.) They are known for their knife-cut noodles and "burgers" -- but tonight, for a PP, I got the Northwest Chinese Noodle Soup, with knife-cut noodles, veggies, wood ear mushrooms, and lily blossoms in a sour-spicy broth. And they were yummy.

For the foodies out there: https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/0...hinese-food-2/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4369.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	20829
    Looks delicious--and sweaty!

2. Likes JoM, mrhappy_onabike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

YEah I'm almost never in College Park but I will have to make that place a destination now.

I recently had one of the worst bowls of Ramen I've ever encountered at the Jinya in Mosaic District, it actually made me angry it was so bad and expensive. Would love to have a great bowl of something new to make up for that soon!
    Last edited by LeprosyStudyGroup; 01-17-2020 at 08:39 AM.

4. Likes bikedavid, JoM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post
    YEah I'm almost never in College Park but I will have to make that place a destination now.
    LSG - If you come up this far - be sure to visit MD Meadworks in Hyattsville, too! It's just a bit off of the Northwest Branch Trail.

6. Likes CBGanimal, LeprosyStudyGroup liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default YUM Indead!

Thai at Silver Spring

Delicious Tom Yum chicken warms core

Name:	20200120_140252.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	20880

8. Likes CBGanimal, bikedavid, JoM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More soupy pics

So - I should be out riding, but figured that I'd update my soupy status before I head out.

Places in College Park:
    Qu Japan - right off Route 1 - only one veg option that you can make spicy. Comes with tofu, mushrooms, corn, bean sprouts, and nori (also bamboo shoots - but not my favorite, so I left it out) with springy chewy noodles in a savory and hot broth.

Name:	qj.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	21020

Saburo - also off Route 1 - Spicy Miso Ramen - this isn't worth writing about - broth was SUPER salty.

Name:	eh.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	21022

Rockville: The Block, Mama Mei's - Udon Soup with mushrooms and fried tofu - very filling - but they also threw Bonito Flakes on top - so vegetarians beware. (They probably also add bonito flakes in the stock as well.) The Block in Rockville had tons of space. I will have to go back to get ice cream - they had tons of asian-inspired flavors like - Ube, Lychee, Matcha, and Pandan with Mochi.
    Name:  block.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  4.7 KB

DC: Sichuan Pavillion - A huge bowl of Mapo Tofu Noodle Soup - mouth numbing slurpy soup that was splash all over my shirt good. I used to work near Farragut Square - so when HF suggested that we go here, I was all in!

Name:	IMG_4978.jpg 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	21024
    Last edited by JoM; 02-02-2020 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Typos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brownws View Post
    Thai at Silver Spring

Delicious Tom Yum chicken warms core

Name:	20200120_140252.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	20880
    Does look warming!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoM View Post
    So - I should be out riding, but figured that I'd update my soupy status before I head out.

Places in College Park:
    Qu Japan - right off Route 1 - only one veg option that you can make spicy. Comes with tofu, mushrooms, corn, bean sprouts, and nori (also bamboo shoots - but not my favorite, so I left it out) with springy chewy noodles in a savory and hot broth.

Name:	qj.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	21020

Saburo - also off Route 1 - Spicy Miso Ramen - this isn't worth writing about - broth was SUPER salty.

Name:	eh.jpg 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	21022

Rockville: The Block, Mama Mei's - Udon Soup with mushrooms and fried tofu - very filling - but they also threw Bonito Flakes on top - so vegetarians beware. (They probably also add bonito flakes in the stock as well.) The Block in Rockville had tons of space. I will have to go back to get ice cream - they had tons of asian-inspired flavors like - Ube, Lychee, Matcha, and Pandan with Mochi.
    Name:  block.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  4.7 KB

DC: Sichuan Pavillion - A huge bowl of Mapo Tofu Noodle Soup - mouth numbing slurpy soup that was splash all over my shirt good. I used to work near Farragut Square - so when HF suggested that we go here, I was all in!

Name:	IMG_4978.jpg 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	21024
    You've been busy! Wow, don't think I've ever seen Mapo Tofu as a noodle soup!

12. Likes mrhappy_onabike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didnt ride my bike there yet so I'll steal no valor but if you're ever in the area check out yunnan by potomac in Old Town https://www.yunnanbypotomac.com/
    I've had several different things there now and theyve all been great. They make these thick billowy noodles that are sooooo pleasant to bite into and theres a bunch of interesting sounding things on the menu.

14. Likes bikedavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default #2: Rice Paddies (pho)

I had this pho at Rice Paddies in Silver Spring for lunch during drevil's D.C. L.a.G.R. ride a couple weeks back. The broth wasn't as flavorful as I would've liked, and I preferred the flaming beef seitan that I tried as well. Still, it was nice having a lot of options there, and the ride was certainly worth it.

Name:	IMG_20200208_130605.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	21319

16. Likes bikedavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default #3: Simply Banh Mi (pho)

I've been here for banh mi before and they're very accommodating to vegans. It's tiny, but a friend was in the area and suggested going, so of course I said yes. It was pretty good and I liked the almond boba tea. TBH I'd still probably go for Sprig and Sprout.

Name:	IMG_20200221_184256.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	21320

18. Likes bikedavid liked this post