Likes Likes:  91
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will BAFS influence your behavior?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    Because I work from home 2-3 days most weeks and can do all my shopping on foot, I am not a daily rider. During BAFS, I get out for at least a short ride every day, and the team competition motivates me to get in at least one longer ride each week. There's probably some value in that.
    Glad to see I'm not the only "foot shopper" on here. I have everything I need within walking distance and just find it easier to walk a short distance than to do the same on a bike.

2. Likes Jessica Hirschhorn, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole idea of riding in the winter started for me when I joined Freezing Saddles for the first time two years ago. But getting out when its cold is still hard and I'm more likely to do it if I participate in FS. I now have a job I can ride to and I'll be more likely to ride than drive because it puts points on the board.

Post Thanks / Like

I was a bystander (and pointless prize player) last year as my first year on a bike and familiar with BAFS... and even not officially in BAFS then, it made me (quite surprisingly) bike pretty actively through my first winter ever on 2 wheels. I don’t think I’ll get registered officially this year either, but I plan to use BAFS again to get me out on the bike...
    I started dating in mid-November, then caught a flu in early December... between those two events, my miles for those two months combined might be 100?—I was hitting 300-600 per month before, and even managed 800+ total, during last BAFS in bystander mode... So, I desperately need to get back into that habit and look forward to this BAFS season nudging me on!!

Post Thanks / Like

FS will help ensure I get out and do at least a sleaze ride on those days that riding is not my first choice of things to do.

6. Likes Jessica Hirschhorn, camiller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One more thing it will change for me, no longer marking my lunch rides as private.

When I started this job, my CIO and a lot of others did an one hour lunch ride routinely. Unfortunately, the group has stopped for a number of reasons. I go by myself sometimes and was marking the rides as private concerned someone might get judgey.

I am just not done hiding the rides, but will be sending my beacon to my boss for full transparency. (And to further influence him to join me)
    Last edited by Raymo853; 12-26-2019 at 03:06 PM.

8. Likes LhasaCM, Jessica Hirschhorn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853 View Post
    One more thing it will change for me, no longer marking my lunch rides as private.

When I started this job, my CIO and a lot of others did an one hour lunch ride routinely. Unfortunately, the group has stopped for a number of reasons. I go by myself sometimes and was marking the rides as private concerned someone might get judgey.

I am just not done hiding the rides, but will be sending my beacon to my boss for full transparency. (And to further influence him to join me)
    You know you can authorize Freezing Saddles to read your private as well as public rides? If you go to http://freezingsaddles.org/authorize, that is one of your choices. At that point, people could see by the number of points that you were riding, but it wouldn't be obvious where or at what time.

This is not to discourage you from trying to get your boss to ride again. But making your rides public is not a requirement for Freezing Saddles.

Post Thanks / Like

In prior years, Freezing Saddles has ensured I will get at least a sleaze ride every day. This enabled me to learn that I can bike in conditions I would previously have considered impossible.

My only regret is that I can't do that this year. I have to have surgery in the middle of Freezing Saddles, which will require me to take a week off.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my first FS and I expect to cycle more than previous winters, though I did bike commute through the last two winters.

2019 was the first year I cycled for any reason besides commuting. Part of the change was the great overnight bike trip I did with Judd and gang out the C&O earlier in the year. I learned 'distance' cycling was fun, bike camping was fun, and my fitness level was about rock bottom (getting dropped on a 'fun' ride is an experience to say the least). After 2,000 miles in the saddle this year I'd say my fitness level is a solid 3/10.

12. Likes Steve O, Sunyata, Judd, awitt liked this post
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
    Part of the change was the great overnight bike trip I did with Judd and gang out the C&O earlier in the year. I learned 'distance' cycling was fun, bike camping was fun, and my fitness level was about rock bottom (getting dropped on a 'fun' ride is an experience to say the least).
    Reflecting on his being dropped:
    Name:  reflecting.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  103.7 KB

14. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pre-freezing saddles I was around 5,000 miles a year; with freezing saddles, I've been over 7,000. I'm not saying it is because of freezing saddles, but it is because of freezing saddles.