Likes Likes:  88
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will BAFS influence your behavior?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Will BAFS influence your behavior?

Regardless if this is your first time or not, do you think taking part in the Freezing Saddles Competition will influence your bike based behavior? Will you ride more, start doing sleaze rides, try to increase your mileage over normal winter riding, .... and so on.

Personally, I have been absent from BAFS for three years. I moved to CO for a few years, and was just not into do it so remotely. Now that I am back in VA, I am more inclined.

My planned change? I am using BAFS as a reason to restart being serious about riding. For the last two years, I have been too focused on the needs of getting my little farm up and running.
    Last edited by Raymo853; 12-21-2019 at 12:56 PM.

2. Likes Jessica Hirschhorn, Hancockbs, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of my changes to behavior from BAFS happened years ago and are now just a part of my life, but I do make some changes. I'll take the long way after dropping my daughter at school sometimes, or the long way to pick her up. We'll definitely ride to some breweries, although I don't know that we'll be at the top of the list this year. I'll be less inclined to drive to pick her up in the afternoon (Morning drop in the car is awful, we basically never do that, but afternoon pickup is fine). I'll make an effort to do some weekend rides for fun (I've only done one since I got back on my bike after the Achilles tear - this is partly because my fitness level isn't where it was before, but that's not the whole reason).

4. Likes LhasaCM, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853 View Post
    ... dong sleaze rides ....
    Not sure what these are, but they sound dangerous, or at least uncomfortable, to do in cold weather.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Playing Freezing Saddles doesn't change the riding I do except for the reindeer games. I already ride my bike pretty much everywhere I go.
    Playing Calvinball the last couple of years, though, definitely had me riding to places and at times I would never otherwise.
    The fact that helped my team was a side benefit.

7. Likes Jessica Hirschhorn liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually drink more during BAFS but thats largely Robyn's fault

Post Thanks / Like

I've said this elsewhere, but I'll repeat it here. For me, my first year (2017) participating in Freezing Saddles is what changed my bike-based behavior, finishing the job SafeTrack started in convincing me that yes, I actually can ride every day for most every thing. Signing up again this year is more about forcing me to pay attention to, and hopefully participate in, some of the social aspects that go along with this that I otherwise would, by my nature, avoid.

10. Likes jrenaut, Raymo853, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome question!

It’s my first winter riding outdoors. I’m motivated so that my bike handling doesn’t degrade as much as it usually does when I’m on an indoor trainer all winter.

But it doesn’t take a lot of outdoor riding to keep that going, so to answer the question, I would definitely say “it depends”. If the team I end up on wants to compete, that will absolutely have me commuting more days per week and more sleeze miles for errands. If my team’s attitude is just “meh” then I’ll do what I was just planning to do.

Post Thanks / Like

I resolve to ride more this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Because I work from home 2-3 days most weeks and can do all my shopping on foot, I am not a daily rider. During BAFS, I get out for at least a short ride every day, and the team competition motivates me to get in at least one longer ride each week. There's probably some value in that.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seeking Motivation

I hoping to find a bit of motivation to get out the door and endure the first 20 minutes...