Likes Likes:  91
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will BAFS influence your behavior?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Reflecting on his being dropped:
    Name:  reflecting.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  103.7 KB
    :-D
    Won't be the last time either!

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Will BAFS influence your behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
    This is my first FS and I expect to cycle more than previous winters, though I did bike commute through the last two winters.

2019 was the first year I cycled for any reason besides commuting. Part of the change was the great overnight bike trip I did with Judd and gang out the C&O earlier in the year. I learned 'distance' cycling was fun, bike camping was fun, and my fitness level was about rock bottom (getting dropped on a 'fun' ride is an experience to say the least). After 2,000 miles in the saddle this year I'd say my fitness level is a solid 3/10.
    I was really glad you came along for this. Your presence made the trip better for everyone. It can be intimidating to show up for stuff and be the new person especially when itís an overnight adventure.

I encourage everyone to be like Smitty. Put yourself out there. Youíll likely have a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Judd; 12-30-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using freezing saddles as a prize/reward for staying super "on point" on my knee rehab. My surgeon has been quite skeptical that I could ride even 1 mile by Jan 1 2020 and I have blown that skepticism out of the water while staying inside the physical therapy recovery boundaries...I hope that I don't have to skip any riding days during freezing saddles and that my team isn't super competitive to the point of shaming ...wait scratch that last piece...I am shame proof...as evidenced by going to big-wig meetings in cycling gear and blinking innocently at the quizzical eyebrows...anywho...where was I...yes, freezing saddles definitely changes my behavior to ride under all scenarios including microfracture knee surgery rehab...and I think everyone should sign up even if you cannot ride for a week...!

4. Likes Nadine, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    You know you can authorize Freezing Saddles to read your private as well as public rides? If you go to http://freezingsaddles.org/authorize, that is one of your choices. At that point, people could see by the number of points that you were riding, but it wouldn't be obvious where or at what time.

This is not to discourage you from trying to get your boss to ride again. But making your rides public is not a requirement for Freezing Saddles.
    In the end, my boss send something about my lunch rides and a ride I had that started at 5. I have to start marking them private again. This has also hardened my resolve to abandon Strava as of the end of BAFS.

Post Thanks / Like

This will be my 3rd Freezing Saddles and my first as a team Captain. In my first year I kinda got sucked-into doing more miles to 1) try and compensate for losing some team-mates and 2) then trying to stay in/around the top 20 (I think) because I was near it anyway. So last year, I made a deliberate decision to not do any rides that I wouldn't ordinarily do (with the exception of sleaze rides for the team!). This year, my motivation is to just do what I do (commute every day and try and do at least one decent ride at the weekends) and try to motivate our team to ride and socialize and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

It absolutely influences my biking behavior. Two years ago-my first FS- I started riding weekends in addition to bike commuting which was a big change and introduced me to group rides and the proteus herd.

Last year with the team points cap structure, I would ride at least a mile every day and ride enough each week to earn the 100 mile team maximum (so 170 points per week) including riding 50 miles a day the last two days of the competition. It also sometimes meant I’d ride a little less on weekends if I’d already almost ridden my max during the week (my commute is 18 miles round trip)

This year’s point structure has made me commit to 10+ miles a day. Sometimes I’m tired or it’s rainy and I wish I could just sleaze but I don’t because I don’t wanna give up the 45 extra points my team gets for miles 2-10.

When FS ends in March I always take a little break from riding -like maybe a day or two—and then go through a period of existential angst. If I ride and don’t earn points — does it mean anything???

8. Likes Steve O, DrBullet, camiller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the third time I've done this ride and though I don't think I'll be riding more miles than I normally do, the one takeaway for me this year is how easy it is to jump on a CaBi and ride a short distance during my workday in the city. So, I'll prolly ride more often, but they'll be shorter utilitarian rides.

10. Likes Steve O, DrBullet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Already has! Lots of sleaze rides for me during the week, but they make for better extended cooldowns after indoor trainer stuff. The weekends have been fun too, after missing some days last week I finally decided to ride the W&OD end-to-end which was unexpected, but gotta get them points!

That and it's shown me how easy it is to bike to downtown Leesburg (and thus, the W&OD) from my house, so that has been huge. Now to see what types of growler holders I can fit to the crit bike...

12. Likes Steve O, secstate, DrBullet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BAFS has definitely changed my riding behavior. This is my fifth year doing BAFS. Through BAFS I have met so many great people that have become my riding buddies. As a result of these friendships I have ridden a lot more miles and have traveled by bike to a lot of new to me places. During FS I am committed to getting out every day, even on yucky days when I would not normally ride. Getting out every day has taught me that I really can ride in most kinds of weather and it is generally not as bad as I had anticipated. (Ice is an entirely different story.) The new point structure has also pushed me to riding at least ten miles (for almost all of my rides). Also, since I am riding every day I have been exploring new areas so that I don't get totally bored by riding the same route.

(I also have a keener interest in the weather so I can try to time my rides to avoid the worst of the weather on a particular day. )

14. Likes bikesnick, AlanA, Sunyata liked this post