Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize - POGGIO Simulations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless Prize - POGGIO Simulations

Winter is long for me and I look forward to spring everyday. The surest sign spring is upon us is Milan San Remo (March 21, 2020), the first spring Pro race. In the spirit of the infamous hill "The Poggio", the last climb during Milan San Remo, we will have a competition on our local Poggio Strava Segment!
    https://www.strava.com/segments/650024

This is a beautiful part of Rock Creek Park with little traffic. The segment is long enough to be enjoyed, gets ample sunshine, and fits easily into several different loops to keep it fresh. I will try to lead several rides where we can hit the segment more than once.

Who ever does the most repeats of the segment wins the prize. There will be both an individual and a team prize.

Prize- TBD - Maybe a 6-pack of Peroni or Italian soda for Individual and a Large pizza from the Italian store for the team (Venmo to team captain)

Post Thanks / Like

Yay! That's part of my daily commute!

3. Likes Steve O, Edelweiss, spelter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@musclys I have an idea. You in?

Post Thanks / Like

Who made the segment start on Joyce? I don't know the history of it, but seems like it'd be way nicer if it started on Ross, so you could approach it from either direction. Doing loops is going to be more of a pain, although I guess you can always go up and down Ross rather than incorporating Ridge and Military Rds. Does anyone know how trafficked Joyce is on an average weekend? Would making a u-turn on Joyce by the segment start be feasible?

6. Likes Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Who made the segment start on Joyce? I don't know the history of it, but seems like it'd be way nicer if it started on Ross.... Would making a u-turn on Joyce by the segment start be feasible?
    I second Josh’s motion re changing the start point to Ross itself, rather than on Joyce, which will require that riders make a left-hand turn into oncoming traffic if motor vehicles are present. And it would be safer to to approach Ross on Joyce (eastbound) without having to cross the double yellow line into oncoming traffic. Ride on, but ride safely!

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

This was just an existing segment with a lot of local history. I did not make it. It's not a KOM competition so carrying speed down from Military into the first climb is not a real factor. Making the U-turn on Joyce safely if doing loops from that direction should not be a problem. In a a lot of cases in real life you don't need to be that close for Strava to match the segment anyways.

If this isn't a popular segment I can always change it to Forsythe https://www.strava.com/segments/655938

Post Thanks / Like

We have a POGGIO leaderboard for individuals and teams now.

Should it link to this thread? See freezing-web issue #152.

10. Likes spelter, secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is Awesome! I'm getting a 500 Internal Server Error right now though Thank you
    Last edited by spelter; 01-04-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spelter View Post
    This is Awesome! I'm getting a 500 Internal Server Error right now though Thank you
    try again please

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Working great!