Likes Likes:  63
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize - Real Supple Ride - #FSrealsuppleride

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless Prize - Real Supple Ride - #FSrealsuppleride

Going into my fourth year of Freezing Saddles in 2020, I have yet to acquire a road bike, y'know: curly bars, fast skinny rubber, and relatively lightweight. Up until now, and continuing into '20, I have used mountain bikes 99.99% of the time, usually shod with fat, draggy, and/or sticky MTB tires. The down side is that it's obviously harder to get as many miles with the same effort, but the plus side is that it's usually a ...

REAL SUPPLE RIDE!!

So for 2020, I'm doing a competition for those like me that are using fatter, wider tires, but 2" or 50mm is the minimum to qualify. It's a point multiplier thing, and the fatter your tires, the bigger the reward.

Use the following hashtags ENDING IN THE APPROPRIATE NUMBER in your Strava titles on your qualifying rides:
    • #FSrealsuppleride2 - if your tire is between 2"-2.9" wide (or 50mm- 74mm). This will multiply your mileage for that ride by 2 for #FSrealsuppleride points.
    • #FSrealsuppleride3 - if your tire is between 3"-3.9" wide (or 75mm- 99mm). This will multiply the mileage by 3.
    • #FSrealsuppleride4 - if your tire is 4" wide (100mm) or bigger. This will multiply it by 4.

Notes:
    • If you are using different width tires for the front and back, they both must be at least 2" or 50mm wide. For example, if you are running 700x38 in the rear, and 700x50 in the front, this will not count because the rear tire doesn't meet the minimum width qualification of 2"/50mm or greater. If you are using 2" in the rear and 4" in the front, use the tag for the width of the skinnier tire, in this example #FSrealsuppleride2.
    • It doesn't matter if the tire is slick or has knobbies. It's the width that counts.
    • It doesn't matter the wheel diameter. If you have 20" x 2", that qualifies as much as a 26" x 4.8" tire.
    • If your points for the ride is 40 or more, I might want to see a pic of your setup either here or on Strava, so take a pic and attach it to the ride or post on this thread. You don't have to do it every time for the same setup. I know, it's random. For example, if doing a 20 mile ride with a 2" tire, that's 40 points. Pic, please
    • I'm going by the width that is printed on the side of the tire, not by measuring (with a caliper, etc.). I know it's rare that a tire is usually as wide as printed on the tire (because of rim widths, pressures, manufacturer optimism, etc.)

The FS developers said that it shouldn't be too hard to do a points board, so the winners will be the top folks (# TBD) with the highest sum of FSrealsuppleride points. I'll make TBD prizes.

Although I'm not counting my own rides towards the prize, I'm going to tag my rides to see how I fare amongst other FSrealsuppleriders. Here's some of my quiver:

#FSrealsuppleride by ricky d, on Flickr
    Last edited by drevil; 01-02-2020 at 12:47 AM.

2. 12-16-2019, 02:40 PM

5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.

Post Thanks / Like

I like it...I commute on 2.3!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Likes drevil, Judd, Edelweiss, Boomer2U, SurlyTed1187 liked this post
    Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CBGanimal View Post
    I like it...I commute on 2.3!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Chris just won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered a new bike with 50 mm tires so this will give me an additional incentive to ride it!
    https://www.konaworld.com/sutra_ltd.cfm

7. Likes Sunyata, Boomer2U liked this post
    Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless Prize - Real Supple Ride - #FSrealsuppleride

The ol Timberjack has 3 wide tires so I might be a contender in the mid-range category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Judd; 12-18-2019 at 05:31 PM.

9. Likes CBGanimal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am SO IN!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13Jan2019.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	20553

Post Thanks / Like

Woot! So the realsuppleride Pointless Points board is up and running. Muchas gracias to Merlin for gittin'er'dun!

https://freezingsaddles.org/pointles...ric/suppleride

As was predicted by Judd earlier, CBG has a YOOJ lead over everyone else. I know that my buddy Al S uses his mountain bike exclusively with 2.2" tires that I gave him, so I'll remind him to put the proper hashtag in his titles for eligible rides.

Take some pics of those realsupplerides (stationary or in action) and post them here.

I might have to bust out my 4" slicks to try to catch up with CBG. I just gotta remember to not run them tubeless

Fat Tire Blowoff by ricky d, on Flickr

12. Likes josh, jrenaut, epilsk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    As was predicted by Judd earlier, CBG has a YOOJ lead over everyone else. I know that my buddy Al S uses his mountain bike exclusively with 2.2" tires that I gave him, so I'll remind him to put the proper hashtag in his titles for eligible rides.
    Looks like Al updated his eligible rides with the hashtag and has jumped into the lead. Now it's a competition!

Name:	fatfat.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	20795

14. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Drevil, can you put 16" tires on my fat bike?

16. Likes drevil, jrenaut, Steve O liked this post
    Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

I've gone back and amended my ride titles for January 1 through January 9 to include #FSrealsuppleride4. I was back in the Midwest for the holidays and brough my Pugsley fat bike with me. It has 4 inch Dillenger studded tires for the winter.

Name:	100_1883.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	20830

18. Likes JoM, josh liked this post