Likes Likes:  288
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pointless Prize - Photography Contest

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless Prize - Photography Contest

UPDATE: In order for me to have any chance at sorting through all the entries in a timely manner, please note that I will only be accepting entries through the end of Monday, 9 March.

Hello Everyone!

I absolutely love taking artsy-fartsy and other fun photographs on my rides. Nothing is more satisfying to me than capturing that perfect shot, and perhaps inspiring others to get out and go explore by riding their bicycles!

In honor of my passion, I am resurrecting the Freezing Saddles photography contest. If you want to participate, there are two ways that you can enter:

1. Use Instagram, and use hashtag #freezingsaddles2020 (your account must be set to public so that I can see the photographs)
    2. Use this thread.

A few guidelines:
    The photos must be taken during FS2020, and I may cut it off early to give time for the decision-making process.
    Unless it's artistic - massive numbers of your coffee, beer, or sock pictures used for other pointless prizes will not grab my attention. I want to see photos that are worthy of being framed.
    I believe that applying filters at any part in the process is just fine. I don't want to see splicing, but the range of Instagram filters, for example, is just fine.
    Beware of adding filters, because they can affect the resolution. I may request a copy of the original photo, but if your art is built on filters... well, might not work as well.
    Beautiful photographs without bike bits: The answer is... I will want to see photographs that remind me specifically of freezing saddles. Something that has at least something bicycle-related is good (even a shadow, or perhaps just tire tracks). Gorgeous photos.. yeah, I can't say that I won't consider them, but I will err towards the bikey as the plan is to construct a thematic calendar.

The prize: I will choose the best 12 photos and create a calendar for 2021! Everyone who wins will receive a free copy, and I will determine later the best method for making additional copies if there is interest.
    Last edited by Mtansill; 03-07-2020 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Added deadline for entries.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool!

A few questions:
    1. I assume yes, but do the pics have to be taken during the FS2020 time period?
    2. What is the minimum resolution needed? I ask because you are printing it, and you prolly know that small web images (like on Insta) don't usually print well.
    3. What is the minimum bike content required in the photo, e.g., must have a bike, or just a bike part/gear?

3. Dislikes Robbie Rob disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    Cool!

A few questions:

I assume yes, but do the pics have to be taken during the FS2020 time period?
    Yes! Depending on the results, I may announce an earlier close than the end.

What is the minimum resolution needed? I ask because you are printing it, and you prolly know that small web images (like on Insta) don't usually print well.
    I've thought about this. If something that has been posted to Instagram doesn't have good enough resolution, I will ask for the original, but may pick a back-up if the original is too far from the photo I chose (such as if in the process of applying the filter, I can't reproduce that without destroying the resolution. So you do take some chance by using Instagram filters.

What is the minimum bike content required in the photo, e.g., must have a bike, or just a bike part/gear?
    It absolutely does not need to be an entire bicycle. For example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	20548
    Last edited by Mtansill; 12-14-2019 at 05:30 PM. Reason: one word change

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless Prize - Photography Contest

Does this qualify as “artsy-fartsy”? ... asking for a friend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Mtansill, Robbie Rob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    Does this qualify as “artsy-fartsy”? ... asking for a friend...

I approve!

8. Likes Jessica Hirschhorn, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice photo. I assume since FS is basically a bunch of lawless hipsters that there is no rule such as DSO in bike photos. (Drive side out) . I love taking photos on rides, and will be entering come January 1.

10. Likes Boomer2U, Mtansill, Varsil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LuisFilipe View Post
    I approve!

How did you take this without crashing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBee View Post
    How did you take this without crashing?
    Only the #dangerpanda knows for sure...

.... #lookmanohands ...

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes Mtansill, Varsil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    Only the #dangerpanda knows for sure...

.... #lookmanohands ...

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #DANGERPANDA also requires looking into the camera. Wistfully, if you'd like

15. Likes Steve O, Boomer2U, Mtansill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

#DANGERPANDA also requires looking into the camera. Wistfully, if you'd like
    Is this why pandas are an en-danger-ed species? (collective groan for dad joke)

17. Likes Boomer2U, Mtansill, bikedavid, Dachs6 liked this post