Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why women don't cycle and what cities can do about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Today's article on the NYT Upshot Blog using Strava data to explore the effects of shoes on running speed got me thinking about what data the Strava API might expose for studying cycling infrastructure.

Seems like it should be possible to study cycle traffic on a given Strava segment by querying the daily leaderboard. This could include breakdowns by age and gender. It also gives the riders' names, which could be used to track the number of unique riders and, if comparing segments, how riding patterns shift.

As arlcxrider points out, not all Strava riders allow access to this data, but we could try to replicate the findings in the Quartz article on segments that we know have a good amount of traffic. So, if there are infrastructure changes coming up similar to that described in the article in Queens, we could consider doing a study using Strava.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I'm amazed at how much more honking I hear when I'm riding with my wife, on the same roads riding the same way. People suck.
    In case I was at all unclear, I have no doubt that drivers may in fact behave more hostile and dangerous around female cyclists. My objection was only with journalists' assertion that the study I referenced constituted supporting evidence for said disparity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arlcxrider View Post
    Not only is the Strava data from Strava users (obviously) it's from a further subset of Strava users who allow use of their data. Allowing access to "Metro" and "Heatmap" is in the Strava privacy settings.
    It would be interesting to compare Strava "counts" vs. the traffic counters at various locations in the area to at least provide a few data points as to how small of a subset the Strava set may be.

4. Likes secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Girls on bikes survival guide?

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    Just to continue with my annoyance with this sort of journalism, if we assume this is based on four full years of data, that's 1460 days. So, about 8 trips a day, split over three roads.

How many individual women riders are we talking about in this dataset? If it's a small number, then a shift in behavior for any reason by even a few riders will translate into big effects over time in the dataset. It's really hard to attribute that to infrastructure change as opposed to some idiosyncratic factor affecting those individual riders' habits. If it's a larger number, then we just have to hope that women Strava users in Queens are somehow representative of the overall behavior of women cyclists.

Sorry to harp on this, but these sorts of issues of basic transparency are really common in data journalism.
    It's not the journalist's fault.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually been seeing more women riding this year on CCT. It is a growing trend for good.