Likes Likes:  479
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  5
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: FS Newbies -- introduce yourself here!

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings! I'm new here looking to connect with a team to help push me. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I am new this year to the freezing saddles. I read the sticky and got the emails that I've been added to a team. I haven't read through this whole thread so excuse me if this is answered already... But regarding the rides outside of the region or area while on vacation for instance not counting....how far out is considered out the area and not counted towards an eligible freezing saddle ride?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelsalsgiver View Post
    But regarding the rides outside of the region or area while on vacation for instance not counting....how far out is considered out the area and not counted towards an eligible freezing saddle ride?
    As long as they're outdoors, and on a bike, and within the appropriate temporal range, you're good! There's no geographic bounding box. If you were AlanA and there wasn't a pandemic, you'd go to Hawaii and enjoy some balmy temps while still accruing FS mileage.

4. Likes bmillah, AlanA liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

No miles are counted in Germany.

6. Likes kwarkentien, Dachs6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    No miles are counted in Germany.
    None of them are still in Germany though. Perhaps we should exclude NYC and Belgium though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Likes Dachs6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelsalsgiver View Post
    I am new this year to the freezing saddles. I read the sticky and got the emails that I've been added to a team. I haven't read through this whole thread so excuse me if this is answered already... But regarding the rides outside of the region or area while on vacation for instance not counting....how far out is considered out the area and not counted towards an eligible freezing saddle ride?
    There is no limitation on where you may ride your miles. To participate, you either have to live in the DMV or be someone who participated in prior years who has now moved out of the DMV. But if you meet those conditions, we don't mind if you are riding on a fine sunny day in Brazil.

And pay no attention to the people trying to exclude whole countries. There is a good deal of good natured ribbing around here. The ones trying to exclude particular countries merely know that some of our past players who rack up a lot of miles live in those countries, and are trying to secure a better ranking for their own teams by excluding those people. No one takes that seriously.

10. Likes kwarkentien, bmillah, Dachs6, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit late to comment here, and I'm new to any sort of organized bike event - but not new to biking, am a lifelong bike commuter. With COVID I lost my bike commute (which was keeping me sane), so hoping this will motivate me to get out there more regularly.

I don't go for lots o miles, I'm more of an urban bike-home-thru-DC-at-night-with-potholes kind of gal. Live in Arlington. Excited to meet some cyclists on here - none of my friends in the area bike, and my daughter REFUSES. Hrmph.

12. Likes jen_stoly, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    And pay no attention to the people trying to exclude whole countries. There is a good deal of good natured ribbing around here. The ones trying to exclude particular countries merely know that some of our past players who rack up a lot of miles live in those countries, and are trying to secure a better ranking for their own teams by excluding those people. No one takes that seriously.
    Thought you said the Slackers were not a team...?

14. Likes kwarkentien, josh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    As long as they're outdoors, and on a bike, and within the appropriate temporal range, you're good! There's no geographic bounding box. If you were AlanA and there wasn't a pandemic, you'd go to Hawaii and enjoy some balmy temps while still accruing FS mileage.
    You know me too well! My annual visit to my cuz in HI is off for now. But there's still hope for AZ sometime before the end of FS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Thought you said the Slackers were not a team...?

My mistake! If they are Slackers, they are merely taking random potshots at high mileage riders for no reason at all.
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 12-29-2020 at 10:59 AM.

17. Likes CBGanimal, kwarkentien, jrenaut liked this post