Likes Likes:  38
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Seminary Road bike lane prize.

  1. #1
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Seminary Road bike lane prize.

    My infra prize gets more tightly focused each year. Two years ago it was bike lanes in DC, Arlington and Alexandria. Last year it was several in Alexandria (oh there may be a surprise in that regard at the opening happy hour). This year it will be, as it must be, Seminary Road. I was not sure I wanted to do this but since we are already being accused of riding back and forth to goose the numbers (what numbers?) might as well do it for real. This has the advantage I think I can score this myself, no coding needed.

    So. I will create two segments (or use existing ones) I will announce them here. Anyone who has ridden one of them and wants to be considered for a prize let me know here, and how many times you have ridden them. It will be honor system (subject to spot checking?).

    On the other hand if someone does something exceptional (but positive) to call attention to themselves while riding on Seminary - an outrageous costume, or an exceptional illustration of transportation riding, I just might give the prize to them instead. It's all about being visible, yet courteous.

    Here's hoping this goes well.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 12-10-2019 at 09:43 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    597
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    if someone does something exceptional (but positive) to call attention to themselves while riding on Seminary - an outrageous costume, or an exceptional illustration of transportation riding, I just might give the prize to them instead. It's all about being visible, yet courteous.
    If someone rides on Seminary Road in a Big Bird costume, would that merit a prize? Asking for a friend.

  3. #3
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,815
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    If someone rides on Seminary Road in a Big Bird costume, would that merit a prize? Asking for a friend.
    I heard the Big Bird costume is no more.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This would turn my 8.5 mile commute into a 13.5 one, but I intend to do it anyway! Are there any destinations in that area? I heard that the Seminary has a coffee shop - maybe I'll check it out.

  6. Likes CBGanimal, laurenist, MrTinDC liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Very excited someone with more experience in pointless prizes created this so I didn't have to myself! This is clearly the one everyone should be aiming to win.

  8. Likes CBGanimal, buschwacker, SurlyTed1187 liked this post
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think it was Seminary road I was driving on last Wednesday at 5:45 pm when a coupla bikes passed us in the bike lane and the 2nd one sported a shiny green Freezing Saddles zipper pull tag. Made my day!

  10. Likes buschwacker, awitt liked this post
  11. #7
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The segments have been selected.

    EB segment is called "The Battle of Alexandria" It goes from Howard to Fort Williams (I might have preferred all the way to Quaker, but those who don't like the gap at Fort Williams, or just want to ride down Fort Williams, can get credit for your rides.) (Thanks to Casey for pointing this segment out)

    WB segment is called "If I die here, name the bike lanes for me" It goes from Quaker (so you pretty much have to start on Janney's) to just past Chapel Hill. It was obviously created before the reconfiguration was implemented. Some creative, passionate, and slightly morbid person must have created it.

    I did not see another WB segment that covered the whole stretch better (there is one that goes all the way up Howard to Braddock, but that's too far) I don't care to set up new segments. If anyone has suggestions for a different one to use, WB or EB, that I somehow missed, let me know.

  12. Likes Boomer2U, buschwacker liked this post
  13. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    The segments have been selected.

    EB segment is called "The Battle of Alexandria" It goes from Howard to Fort Williams (I might have preferred all the way to Quaker, but those who don't like the gap at Fort Williams, or just want to ride down Fort Williams, can get credit for your rides.) (Thanks to Casey for pointing this segment out)

    WB segment is called "If I die here, name the bike lanes for me" It goes from Quaker (so you pretty much have to start on Janney's) to just past Chapel Hill. It was obviously created before the reconfiguration was implemented. Some creative, passionate, and slightly morbid person must have created it.

    I did not see another WB segment that covered the whole stretch better (there is one that goes all the way up Howard to Braddock, but that's too far) I don't care to set up new segments. If anyone has suggestions for a different one to use, WB or EB, that I somehow missed, let me know.
    There is a westbound segment called "Seminary: Quaker up to Howard. It covers the full .91 miles of the westbound bike lane from Quaker to Howard.

  14. #9
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    There is a westbound segment called "Seminary: Quaker up to Howard. It covers the full .91 miles of the westbound bike lane from Quaker to Howard.

    That works, I will use that instead. This means of course that riders will have to go all the way to Quaker, they can't wimp out and turn up Chapel Hill

  15. Likes CBGanimal liked this post
  16. #10
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Anyone who thinks they are in the running for this, please PM me, and tell me how many times you have ridden these segments.

    I will make a judgement call as to if and how to verify your claim.

    Thanks.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •