Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Pointless Prize: Maximum Smugness Points

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless Prize: Maximum Smugness Points

As cyclists, or aspiring cyclists, we are already in the upper percentiles of smugness. And as cyclists who aspire to ride through the winter, we are well into Ivy League percentiles of smugness. So how do we decide who is the smuggest of them all?

As with all winning, it comes down to how much you want it.

The two criterion for this prize are:
    1. You must have ridden every day of BAFS OR fail to ride every day for reasons explained by No. 2, AND
    2. You have gone to extraordinary lengths to complete a ride, or attempt to complete a ride.

The Maximum Smugness Prize will go to the person whose story in No. 2 below I judge to be the most worthy based on total degree of difficulty, overall absurdity, and evident desire.

Post your entries here as they occur or at least 24 hours before the final happy hour.

This prize was inspired by, of course, my own experience (hence the smugness) last year. I was in Denver for work and had to make a day trip to LA. I had an early flight and chose not to ride in the morning, figuring there would be time in the evening when I returned. But by the time I got back to Denver and checked out a B-Bike (Denver's bikeshare), it was after 10 DC time, so the ride did not count for that day. I tried, but failed, but I felt pretty smug for making the effort. I have heard of even more extraordinary efforts of others while traveling, so I know there are other smug people out there. This is your chance for your smugness to get the reward you know it deserves.

A note about blizzard rides: If we get a blizzard, rides during and after will be considered, of course, but you will be scored on the curve. If you ride in the same conditions everyone faced and others rode too, that will make it harder to move me. On the other hand, if you are visiting your parents and your flight gets cancelled and your only option is to ride in the blizzard using the BMX bike in your old neighbor's garage that you remember seeing your old best friend's little brother ride back in the 90's, you may have what it takes!

The prize will be, what else?, a donation in your name to the cycling-related cause of your choice.

Keep cycling and stay smug out there!

2. Likes G-Daddy, CBGanimal, Judd, awitt, Hancockbs, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So a few years back they were calling for a pretty big snow starting at 4 or 5AM. The night before, I met another participant at 12:01AM at the nearest Bikeshare station. We rode 2 crappy miles in the beginning of a sticky wet snow then went to bed. Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep!

5. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    So a few years back they were calling for a pretty big snow starting at 4 or 5AM. The night before, I met another participant at 12:01AM at the nearest Bikeshare station. We rode 2 crappy miles in the beginning of a sticky wet snow then went to bed. Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?
    Arlingtonrider and I resemble that remark

Love this pointless prize!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes jrenaut, bikesnick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes! I did that twice last year. Watched the radar and got in just before the snow. A few laps around Landon School in the middle of the night.

9. Likes CBGanimal liked this post