Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wharf to Douglass Bridge & the Riverfront Mess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wharf to Douglass Bridge & the Riverfront Mess

This thread can be the spin-off for those of us who ride Maine Ave (which is combat) all the way to, and across the Douglass Bridge.

Due to all of the construction down that way led by the new Douglass Bridge, the area is turning into a complete mess. Starting at 4th St south of M Street, the road was recently torn up for utility work and the repaving made the driving lanes pretty nice, but the bike lanes are now in bad shape and covered in debris. North of Fort McNair is ok, but 2nd St SW down to Audi Field has recently been spray painted with all sorts of markings indicating that it will soon be torn up. Someone even took the time to grind off some of the bike markings in the protected bike lanes along here. And the Douglass Bridge, which had narrow walkways on both sides now only has the south side open making for a really tight turn on the east side of the Anacostia for anyone heading north.

The first span of the new bridge is a long way from complete and the mess will likely only get worse before it gets better. I'm questioning already whether it's worth taking 11th St bridge and dealing with the annoying and much slower route through Navy Yard or the neighborhood north of Navy Yard. That's less of an option for riders going to JBAB or CGH though.

For anyone who rides through here, I appreciate your comments and insights for how to make it suck less...

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Anacostia and I started coming over the 11th street bridge and going thru Navy Yard before they shut down the northbound side of the Douglas Bridge because it's so narrow and no one ever wants to wait to pass so people would squeeze pass me making it pretty scary or Iwould pull over and wait for them to pass to make it less scary. I have only tried the southbound Douglas bridge once or twice but that sharp turn to get back to Anacostia Park has made me stop doing that. I also sometimes take I st to NJ Ave and take the bike path along Virginia Ave to 11th Street and avoid the Navy Yard. It's a bit out of the way but I stop at Whole Foods and get food for dinner to make it work for me.

3. Likes Hancockbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maine St is combat for sure, I lived down there when phase 1 of the Wharf was still being built. Eye St is a pretty good east/west thoroughfare and doesn't seem too out of the way. Crossing South Capitol is pretty good on I St and I think much of the construction is about to wrap up on I St in Navy Yard, though I haven't actually been down that part in a few months (I commute between NE/SE DC these days).

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I ride on Eye Street to Navy Yard area. A few months ago when construction on a new building made EB Eye Steet SE impassable, I tried going Maine to the trail to the Titanic Memorial, to P Street to PBL on 2nd to PBL on R to Potomac Avenue. Saw people going to and from Douglass (I have ridden that on weekends, but not lately) After a few weeks Eye reopened and I have gone back to that route.

I really liked the PBLs, hope they are restored to good maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like I am lucky that I am retired and don't ride over the Douglass bridge going to and from work at NRL anymore.

7. Likes creadinger, consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I got back, this has been annoying me greatly... the first time I encountered it I almost ran over the 2" high sharp metal bars on the ground holding it up. I highly doubt this is ADA compliant. I don't think there's enough room between the fence and the bars on the ground for a wheelchair to get through.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  95.1 KB

If all of this is going to be demolished eventually, couldn't they just drill holes and plant the sign that way?
    Last edited by creadinger; 11-21-2019 at 11:36 AM.

9. Likes Judd liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Since I got back, this has been annoying me greatly... the first time I encountered it I almost ran over the 2" high sharp metal bars on the ground holding it up. I highly doubt this is ADA compliant. I don't think there's enough room between the fence and the bars on the ground for a wheelchair to get through.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  95.1 KB

If all of this is going to be demolished eventually, couldn't they just drill holes and plant the sign that way?
    I recommend Lumberjacking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is also in Charles Allen's Ward and he tends to get things like this taken care of if brought to his attention.

13. Likes creadinger, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
    This is also in Charles Allen's Ward and he tends to get things like this taken care of if brought to his attention.
    Thanks for the tip! I am in communication with his team now.

15. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know they are still working there, but really wish they would smooth out the pavement in front of the current Wharf construction. It is horrible for bike and car traffic. I hit one of the myriad potholes this morning and broke a spoke.

17. Likes creadinger liked this post