Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: New Bridge Opening - Four Mile Run Park

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Bridge Opening - Four Mile Run Park

At long last!

Opening Ceremony for Four Mile Run Park Wetlands Bridge

The City of Alexandria invites the public to celebrate the opening of the Four Mile Run Park Wetlands Bridge on Saturday, November 16, at 8:30 a.m. The ceremony will include remarks by City officials and partners, a ribbon-cutting ceremony, and an overview of park improvements by City staff. The event will occur rain or shine at the east side of the bridge, closest to the parking lot at 3700 Commonwealth Ave.

The 120-foot long bridge spans over a tributary in Four Mile Run Park, connecting the eastern ballfield area to the wetlands and completing a one-kilometer loop through the park. The installation of the bridge is a significant element of the Four Mile Run Restoration Plan, which improves connectivity throughout the park. The bridge provides access to the wetlands, which were restored in 2016 for walking, passive enjoyment, and ecological education programming.
    For more information about the project, visit the Four Mile Run Restoration project webpage.
    For reasonable disability accommodation, contact dana.wedeles@alexandriava.gov or call 703.746.5491, Virginia Relay 711.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, it looks like the opening ceremony has been postponed until further notice. https://www.alexandriava.gov/recreat...aspx?id=112204.

Post Thanks / Like

that didn't end well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    Sadly, it looks like the opening ceremony has been postponed until further notice. https://www.alexandriava.gov/recreat...aspx?id=112204.
    But is the bridge now accessible? A week ago or looked like both ends were blocked.

Side note: about half of the Wayne Anderson Bikeway now has fresh asphalt and no longer goes tha-dump, tha-dump.

5. Likes Judd liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    But is the bridge now accessible? A week ago or looked like both ends were blocked.

Side note: about half of the Wayne Anderson Bikeway now has fresh asphalt and no longer goes tha-dump, tha-dump.
    I thought it might be open based on a picture on Twitter, but on second look it looks like the barrels were moved from one side just to take the photo announcing the trail opening event. I wonder what happened that caused the opening to be cancelled.

https://twitter.com/4MRConservatory/...504541185?s=20

Did the repaving make it to Commonwealth where the biggest of the bumps were?
    Last edited by Judd; 11-08-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The repaving does NOT extend that far alas... the worst of the original paving near the circle / T-junction is still intact.

Post Thanks / Like

Site update: fencing is still blocking both sides of the bridge. No ceremony, no access.

9. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoB50 View Post
    The repaving does NOT extend that far alas... the worst of the original paving near the circle / T-junction is still intact.
    Boooooo!! Boooo!!

Thank you for the recon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    Site update: fencing is still blocking both sides of the bridge. No ceremony, no access.
    Just saw on Twitter this morning that a scheduling conflict caused the ceremony to be canceled and that the bridge is supposed to open on an unspecified day next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes Rod Smith, ChristoB50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The bridge is open.

14. Likes Steve O liked this post