Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The leading cause of bicyclist fatalities (according to NTSB) is...

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I still think though that whatever the NHTSA data on urban vs rural fatalities, its useful for people who support safer biking in our region to be aware of the actual existence of numerous arterials in non rural parts of the region with speed limits over 25MPH. Its useful background to any kind of bike advocacy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    What would we do without internet search engines?

https://www.callahan-law.com/blog/20...an-roads.shtml

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has published helpful data on fatal bicycle accidents that occur across the country. According to the NHTSA, data from 2010 to 2015 shows that a majority of bicyclist fatalities occurred on urban roads, as opposed to rural roadways. During this period, 69.6 percent of bicyclist fatalities were in an urban environment, while 30.4 percent were in rural areas."
    I don't have the data at hand, but the urban cyclist fatalities surely do not contain the same fraction of "motorist overtaking bicyclist, non-intersection" as the rural ones do.
    Last edited by scoot; 11-08-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

That's Alexandria. Arlington, though in many respects more progressive than Alexandria, is worse as far as speed limits, I think.

For curiosity's sake, here's a map of speed limits in Arlington. One discrepancy I noticed is that Old Dominion between Lee Hwy and Glebe is signed at 30, but shown as 35 on the map.

Some of the arterials that one might think would have higher speeds, but are 30 or less, include:
    • Wilson Blvd.
    • Lee Hwy west of Lorcom
    • George Mason
    • Washington Blvd. (except for the portion that functions like part of I-395)
    • Williamsburg
    • Yorktown
    • Military
    • Columbia Pike east of the W&OD

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    I don't have the data at hand, but the urban cyclist fatalities surely do not contain the same fraction of "motorist overtaking bicyclist, non-intersection" as the rural ones do.
    I don't have that data either, which is why I merely pointed out that most of the fatalities are urban, in response to a question on that.

Since overtaking fatalities are 25% of all bike fatalities, and rural fatalities are 30% of all bike fatalities it is POSSIBLE that there are no overtaking fatalities in urban areas. I personally doubt that.

But what I am sure of is that if that is the case, or just that overtaking fatalities are much more common in rural areas, its not because arterials in urban areas (which note, in terms of NTSB data, includes suburban areas) are always 25MPH.

I also note that one prominent local cyclist stopped riding to school with his kid on R Street in Shaw after being buzzed repeatedly and aggressively by trucks. That's a 25MPH zone, quite urban, where bike advocates have called for changing the door zone bike lane to a PBL.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 11-08-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    For curiosity's sake, here's a map of speed limits in Arlington. One discrepancy I noticed is that Old Dominion between Lee Hwy and Glebe is signed at 30, but shown as 35 on the map.

Some of the arterials that one might think would have higher speeds, but are 30 or less, include:
    • Wilson Blvd.
    • Lee Hwy west of Lorcom
    • George Mason
    • Washington Blvd. (except for the portion that functions like part of I-395)
    • Williamsburg
    • Yorktown
    • Military
    • Columbia Pike east of the W&OD
    GWMP = 40 mph

6. Likes Steve O, huskerdont, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    GWMP = 40 mph
    Some drivers interpret mph as miles per half-hour ...

8. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

According to the NHTSA, data from 2010 to 2015 shows that a majority of bicyclist fatalities occurred on urban roads, as opposed to rural roadways. During this period, 69.6 percent of bicyclist fatalities were in an urban environment, while 30.4 percent were in rural areas."
    Unfortunately, normalizing that data is near impossible so determining the relative risk is also a guessing game. At some point trying to squeeze more information out of bad data is an exercise in futility and it makes sense to just do something.

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    I'm not sure there's really good data on that either. Certainly cyclist collision investigations leave quite a lot to be desired in my experience--I'd guess that some non-trivial fraction of "he swerved into me" aka "cyclist failed to yield right of way" should fall into this category except that the official report contains only the driver's opinion. I can think of at least one local urban fatality caused by a sideswiping truck, and I'm sure that's not an isolated incident--consider peoples' experience of close passes that didn't kill them. ("Motorist overtaking bicyclist" does not mean "ran over like a steamroller".)

10. Likes scoot liked this post