Likes Likes:  71
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Upcoming Micromobility Ordinance will also regulate e-bikes

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, the ol' "your study must be wrong because my anecdotal observations lead me to a different conclusion"....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Ah, the ol' "your study must be wrong because my anecdotal observations lead me to a different conclusion"....
    That's funny because you continue to mischaracterize the study to fit your own biases. As I posted on the e-bike thread awhile ago, although the study was done for NVRPA to inform policy for e-bikes on the W&OD, the findings of the study, including regarding speed, are not based on behavior on the W&OD. It just cites a study that found that e-bikes were observed to go faster on roads than analog bikes and slower on a MUP than analog bikes. I'd also note that the cited study also found nearly identical safety behavior between e-bikes and analog bikes. This would dispel the notion that e-bike riders can somehow be expected to be more careful than the rest of us "crazies".

3. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    That study is absolutely worthless for considerations about the W&OD or any other policy around Arlington/DC. That study was done around the University of Tennessee with e-bikes that have a top speed of 15mph - the iZip Trekking Enlightened. Also the "roads" and "shared use paths" in the study are university roads and paths heavily traveled by students, leading to really low speeds in general.

The average speeds from the study were as follows:

Vehicle type Average speed (kph) 99th percentile speed (kph)
    On road
    Bicycle 10.5 29.0
    E-bike 13.3 32.0

Shared use
    Bicycle 12.6 26.0
    E-bike 11.0 25.4

Keep in mind that these are in kilometers per hours, so in mph we are talking about average speeds less than 9mph, which is entirely irrelevant to anything in this discussion or any other ebike discussion in this area.