Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: W&OD gets plowed!!

Post Thanks / Like

After checking with NVRPA, they confirmed that they have a blower, not a plow and that they "won't plow the trail, but in case of heavy snows we would blow the trail off after some days." It's not clear what this means; guess we'll find out this winter.

As for cross country skiing, people often forget that west of Vienna there is a second, unpaved trail that would be a much more interesting place to ski. The main, paved trail is usually not skiable due to foot prints and tire tracks. In my mind it's one of the worst places to cross country ski unless you get out there immediately after the snow.

Post Thanks / Like

This is me not commenting. I'm sitting on my hands at the moment.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wright View Post
    As for cross country skiing, people often forget that west of Vienna there is a second, unpaved trail that would be a much more interesting place to ski. The main, paved trail is usually not skiable due to foot prints and tire tracks. In my mind it's one of the worst places to cross country ski unless you get out there immediately after the snow.
    Yea... And in Arlington, much of the W&OD is paralleled by the Four Mile Run Trail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wright View Post
    After checking with NVRPA, they confirmed that they have a blower, not a plow and that they "won't plow the trail, but in case of heavy snows we would blow the trail off after some days." It's not clear what this means; guess we'll find out this winter.

I thought there was a post here somewhere (Jan or so of this year) that they had gotten a plow back in February or so and the stance was they would plow after 2-3 days of a snowfall? Their blower isn't gonna do squat, they use it for leaves if it's the one I've seen recently.

I'm of the mindset that I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm in year 4 of commuting and havent seen it yet.

Besides, I so want to build a Surly Pugsley or a Salsa Mukluk this winter and I NEED an excuse!

Post Thanks / Like

I think they mean snowblower, not a leaf blower. Probably tractor mounted? This seems stupid if that is what they bought. This is not Caribou Maine. A snowblower is SLOW even when mounted to a tractor. It would take forever to clear those trails with a tractor mounted snowblower and it would leave crap on the train since they don't scrape. They're not designed for that. If they're serious about snow removal on the trails, they should have a 5-6ft plow on a tractor or a gator type ag vehicle. They can cruise down the trail at 15-20mph when there is nobody on it and have it down to pavement in no time. If owned on, I would do it myself for free. It's fun!

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a plow
    From an NVRPA Facebook posting:

Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority The W&OD did purchase a small snow blower attachment for an existing tractor. It is not a plow and will not allow our staff to undertake full scale snow removal operations on the trail. This equipment will be deployed after significant snow of great than 6" to supplement the melting process. We hope by using this equipment the amount of time the trail remains snow and ice covered will be greatly reduced.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting Arlington to recognize and *maintain* our mainline (WOD, Custis & FMR) trails as transportation arteries is an ongoing project of the BAC (that we can always use help with). Beyond funding (the biggest challenge, by far), there are a few practical obstacles to getting decent winter maintenance. First, unless you plow right away, you're faced with compacted snow the next day - which turns into nasty ice during the melt/refreeze cycle that comes in the days after. Aside from manually chipping away at it, the only other solution is salt (which is, in my view, a net negative - I'm not interested in wrecking the soil around the trails). This isn't a problem on major streets because of the heat of exhaust and the continual passing of cars. Finally, as one or two of you may have noticed, there's plenty of buckling on our trails. It's pretty tricky to usefully plow a section where you can't consistently get the blade on the pavement.*

*And we'll just ignore the matter of the demonstrated skills of Arlington's plowing crew on the streets. They must import them from Florida.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure plowing will never be 100% perfect for 100% of the trail. But a 1/4" of packed snow will melt a lot faster than 4" of fluff. And at least those with snow tires and the walkers can use it while it is packed snow in parts. If they really wanted to impress their "customers", they could spray down the liquid anti-ice treatment before a predicted storm. No harm to the plant life and largely prevents the packed snow and ice situation.

Seriously, If I had a house that backed up to any of these trails, I would totally be out there in the middle of the storm with a snow plow on a lawn mower. I'm like the D&D commercial where the snow plow drivers are chasing the one lone snowflake.
    Last edited by MCL1981; 12-07-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blacknell View Post
    *And we'll just ignore the matter of the demonstrated skills of Arlington's plowing crew on the streets. They must import them from Florida.
    Oh come on Mark, I winter commute enough to know Arlington does an exceptional job of plowing.

Plowing all the snow off the road and into the bike lanes that is