Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Volunteers Needed: Arlington Data Protected Bike Project, Wed Oct 16th

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Volunteers Needed: Arlington Data Protected Bike Project, Wed Oct 16th

My name is Mark Sussman and I'm the co-founder of the How's My Driving app, a new tool that allows those concerned with streets safety to quickly and easily report dangerous driving behavior like blocking of bike lanes and crosswalks. We've been beta testing the app in DC since January with 1700 beta testers who have submitted over 15,000 submissions to date.

Over the past several months, I've been meeting with county officials about integrating the app directly with the county to help optimize enforcement and plan infrastructure projects. One great recommendation that came out of these meetings was to demonstrate the How's My Driving app in a local context. To that end, we're holding the Data Protected Bike Lanes Project in Arlington this coming Wednesday during AM/PM Rush and lunchtime to better understand the size and scope of bike lane blockages in Crystal City, Rosslyn and Ballston. Sign up here.

We held the DC edition of this project back in May where volunteers logged nearly 700 violations in one day! We already have over 25 volunteers signed up, but we need 50-70 folks to participate in order to ensure this event is a success. If you can spare 30 minutes or more next Wednesday, please sign up here.

2. Likes josh, sjclaeys, LhasaCM, Judd, scoot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Data Protected Bike Lanes Moved to Thursday

Lots of rain forecast for tomorrow, so we're moving Data Protected Bike Lanes to Thursday. Sign up by midnight tonight in order to participate. Assignments will go out Wednesday afternoon.

4. Likes Judd liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

"Volunteering" = signing up for one or more 30 minutes shifts, am rush, lunch and/or pm rush, and standing in a location, logging violations in the app.

Everyone should help out so we have the best data possible

6. Likes LhasaCM, Judd, buschwacker, scoot liked this post
    Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not that bright, but how do I find the app from my (apple) phone? When I go to the apple store, "howsmydriving" appears to be an app for drivers and "hmdappio" yields nothing.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    I'm not that bright, but how do I find the app from my (apple) phone? When I go to the apple store, "howsmydriving" appears to be an app for drivers and "hmdappio" yields nothing.
    Itís not on the app stores. Go here: https://hmdapp.io

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Woot! Lucked out on the plum assignment across from Crystal City Waterpark, I'll be having lunch by the fountain.

Idea: Since I presume there's a one-block area to monitor and both sides of the street, I might keep a scooter handy to buzz around. Depending on how much activity there is.
    Last edited by ginacico; 10-16-2019 at 02:37 PM.

10. Likes buschwacker, Judd, LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mark for organizing and everyone else for volunteering. I'm on the West Coast this week, or else I would participate also. Looking forward to seeing what we can learn from the data though!

12. Likes Judd liked this post