Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Route advice - McLean

Post Thanks / Like

Yes!
    The route into McLean was very straightforward and I especially liked the little detour via Timberly to minimize the time on Lewinsville. After the event, I continued north on Swinks Mill and thatís when I came to the road closure, just south of Georgetown Pike. Bentbike suggested the bridge may have swept away in the July 8 floods. So I didnít get to try the rest of the route, just retraced my steps, but itís good to know about those roads for future. I was a little nervous venturing into Cartopia so I used lots of lights and dressed like a freak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	609FF1CE-8CB8-4E48-8DF8-2F8C14C24488.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	20438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B0359590-AC72-4A2C-AFDA-BD2DC4E1C0B0.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	20439  

2. Likes Judd, bentbike33, huskerdont, josh, scoot, Boomer2U liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    ... unbeknownst to me at least, Swinks Mill is closed between Old Dominion and Georgetown Pike.
    Yeah, Kirby got all the press.
    Here's the update: https://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom...n9-12-2019.asp
    Swinks Mill Road at Scotts Run (VA-685)

• Crews continue work to reconstruct the bridge deck, make extensive repairs to substructure and the approaching roadway.
    • In the last month, crews excavated and poured concrete working surfaces on the downstream side on which the footers will be built, Installed rebar and poured two footers on the downstream side, installed rebar and support for the stem wall, that joins the foundation to the vertical wallsof the bridge, on the downstream right-side abutment (leg of bridge), and partially installed rebar for stem wall on the downstream left-side abutment.
    • Work is on schedule to be complete by the end of September.

Kirby Road at Pimmit Run (VA-695)

• In total, hundreds of feet of the road and bridge saw extensive damage.
    • Martins Construction Corporation has been awarded a $2.1 million emergency contract for repairs, and work is anticipated to begin the week of Sept. 23. The work includes:
      • Relocation of Little Pimmit Run to its previous stream alignment in compliance with federal/state permitting agencies
      • Rebuilding the washed-out section of Kirby Road with concrete and rip rap
      • Replacement of a more than 50-year-old 24-inch sanitary sewer line
      • Reconstruction of the bridge over Pimmit Run with work on the abutments, wing walls, parapets, bridge deck, and approaches

• Access to all homes will be maintained during the work. The road is expected to safely reopen to through traffic in mid-December, and final asphalt and lane striping will continue through May 2020.
    Looking at the photos of the original damage, you probably could have gone through and portaged over the damaged road.
    Last edited by Steve O; 10-03-2019 at 03:35 PM.