Likes Likes:  465
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: BAFS 2020 teams and rules discussion

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Being an old retired phart who was individual champion the first year of Freezing saddles (when I was a daily commuter) and on the winning team the second year (again as a daily commuter), I just have this to say: Don't mess with success!

Besides, freezing saddles keeps me off the stationary bike.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see how the scoring change shakes things up. It will diminish the ability of the ultra-milers to carry a team and help the daily commuters contribute more, which is what twowheels is getting at I believe.

I've been an advocate for equalizing the leaderboards, such that the Beerneuring leaderboard and the Calvinball leaderboard, etc. somehow get equal play on the website (note that these leaderboards do not actually exist on the website).
    Those are individual games (at least they have been), not team games, however.

There are a couple of team leaderboards (e.g. Ride Days by team) that are relegated to secondary status under a dropdown menu. If there were a way to make other team competitions more openly competitive it could create ongoing excitement beyond just the days + miles among players on teams that are down the traditional leaderboard but high on the #teamnoodleride (or whatever) leaderboard.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Gee I don't feel that way at all. I think the ultra milers DO compete individually, the way it is now - Just look at the top 15-20 people on the individual standings chart & you'll see it.
    True...my point is that the *team* competition is inextricably linked to this individual competition, which I think detracts from the fun (and point) of the team competition.

I really find this community of diehard cyclists who ride through the winter to be the BOMB. Who cares how the other people play the game? Just look how many cool people we have to play with!
    Same! I think people should play how they want to play *individually.* But I think as a team competition, it would benefit by diminishing the impact of those top 15-20 riders and focusing more on the every day folks.

Having said that, it's true that sometimes you end up on a team that doesn't move much in the standings no matter what you all do, and that can be a li'l disheartening. Probably that will lessen if you get together to ride. But I like the "team" rides being open to everyone - because more people to play with , and if you make friends among your teammates, once you've done FS for multiple years, you're gonna wanna ride with your friends you made last year regardless of what team they're on!
    As an introverted misanthrope I will respectfully agree to disagree on this point (I've been a BAFS participant from the beginning)! Which is why I'd like to see the core of the team competition be about the regular folks who just want to have some extra motivation and maaaaybe feel a little more social, but not have to worry about letting their team down if they aren't out riding crazy miles or participating in team rides. For those that want to make it more social or individually competitive, they can do so on their own or using the side bets.

TL;DR -The rules/core of the team game should focus on inclusivity. The individual rules and side bets are what can allow for individual preferences/exclusivity.

4. Likes Nadine, jrenaut, awitt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    True...my point is that the *team* competition is inextricably linked to this individual competition, which I think detracts from the fun (and point) of the team competition.

As an introverted misanthrope I will respectfully agree to disagree on this point (I've been a BAFS participant from the beginning)! Which is why I'd like to see the core of the team competition be about the regular folks who just want to have some extra motivation and maaaaybe feel a little more social, but not have to worry about letting their team down if they aren't out riding crazy miles or participating in team rides. For those that want to make it more social or individually competitive, they can do so on their own or using the side bets.

TL;DR -The rules/core of the team game should focus on inclusivity. The individual rules and side bets are what can allow for individual preferences/exclusivity.

Ah hahaha as an enthusiastic extrovert married to a guy who'd probably call himself an introverted misanthrope (think Tigger & Eeyore,) I really enjoyed that comment. Also I bow down to your longtime freezing saddle years. No wonder you're getting a li'l jaded.

I haven't seen the individual competition interfere with the team thing - but I haven't been playing for as long as you..... The bigger perspective shaping difference might be the introvert / extrovert thing though.

Which means your point is probably more important than it seems to me - because FS has to work for all the 'verts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default BAFS 2020 teams and rules discussion

Ah hahaha as an enthusiastic extrovert married to a guy who'd probably call himself an introverted misanthrope (think Tigger & Eeyore,) I really enjoyed that comment.
    My wife and I resemble that remark and actually have Tigger and Eeyore Christmas stockings!
    Last edited by Hancockbs; 12-03-2019 at 06:11 PM.

7. Likes Nadine, jrenaut, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hancockbs View Post
    My wife and I resemble that remark and actually have Tigger and Eeyore Christmas stockings!
    Hahaha what a great idea! Which of you is which?

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha what a great idea! Which of you is which?

Iím Eeyore of course.

10. Likes Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie's first post

Newbie here, posting my first post.

Want to take this opportunity to say THANK YOU to all the volunteers making this competition possible! I'll be riding through my first winter, and this competition is a big part of the inspiration for doing so.

Appreciate too the posts debating the intent behind the rules, it's been a great way to get learnt about the history.

Looking forward to meeting some folks, to doing pointless things, and to generally freezing my saddle off!

12. Likes Hancockbs, CBGanimal, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Throwing a wrench in everyone's scoring demands... I want double points for run commuting.

#slackers

14. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Throwing a wrench in everyone's scoring demands... I want double points for run commuting.
    You can be a team of one person competing with yourself.

16. Likes Judd liked this post