Likes Likes:  212
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BAFS 2020 teams and rules discussion

Post Thanks / Like

I like Subby's idea he tossed out earlier this year -- individual leaderboard is based solely on miles ridden (no cap), team leaderboard is based solely on days ridden (at least 1 mile). I'm indifferent to the size of teams, but I like local teams (although they're more of a pain to set up). Alternatively, we could select captains from a volunteer pool, and have them draft players (this is cycling, drafting is important right?).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    1. What did you think of the mileage cap (for team points, not individual points)? Scrap? Keep? Keep but up the mileage?
    I wasn't really a fan of it. I live FAR out of DC in Vienna and am an everyday commuter for the most part. Family and kid commitments typically limit my participation on weekends for group rides and with the length of my commute, it makes any sort of coffee/happy hours difficult as well. Basically, my participation has been limited to my commute for the most part. My first year I really felt like I was able to contribute to my team with the high mileage i racked up commuting so I didn't feel awful if I missed days on the weekend. But with a mileage cap my contribution to the team is limited, especially since I'm not able to partake in the many social aspects of the game (which was the goal I realize for the cap anyways). And I don't care about the individual points, I'm not out to "win" anything, I just want to let some others take advantage of my high miles to the benefit of a team.

2. What do you think about trying to make the teams more "local," i.e., teammates from the same area? But still trying to "balance" the teams (based on past Freezing Saddles participation) so that no one team is "stacked" with high mileage riders?
    The more "local" a team is for me raises the likelihood that I could participate in some of the social activities
    4. What do you think about smaller size teams? Last year we had 19 teams with 10 riders each. It's been suggested that Freezing Saddles is more competitive with smaller teams because every team member's miles (or lack thereof) count more. Is something like 6 riders too small for a team?
    I like the current team sizes
    5. Keep the current point system? 10 points for the first ride mile of the day (as an incentive to ride) but 1 point for every mile afterwards.
    Yes

3. Likes Nadine, Boomer2U liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Each team picks a GC rider who’s mileage is the only one that counts. The rest of the team serves as domestiques by forming a hive around the GC rider to block out the cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm ambivalent about kicking people out unless they are truly barely riding or not at all. One of the key objectives of Freezing Saddles is to encourage people who have never commuted in the winter before to try it. There are a lot of veteran players now who did their first wintertime commute because of Freezing Saddles. Getting those people out there sometimes, but without the expectation that they can go from zero winter riding to blizzard winter riding, is good.

That said, there were some players last year (and previous years) who literally dropped off the bottom, with single-digit ride days for the whole competition. Finding the line between these and the nervous newbies is the trick.

I prefer to err on the side of keeping people in who show some signs of life. A mileage cap theoretically serves to make those peoples's contributions somewhat more meaningful, which might help keep them motivated.
    For this reason, I would be opposed to raising the mileage cap and possibly in favor of lowering it. It only affected a relatively small percentage of the riders last year (I used to know this number, but have forgotten it). Raising the cap might provide a dozen or twenty riders with the ability to raise their team contribution, but is likely to stretch the overall standings out, making the overall days+miles competition even less interesting.

6. Likes bikesnick, Ben, Hancockbs liked this post
    Dislikes sjclaeys disliked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I do wonder if over time the nature of Freezing Saddles has changed such that it feels daunting to newbie winter commuters who don't want to be pressured into riding every day, but just want to give winter commuting a try.

8. Likes jrenaut, Ben liked this post
    Dislikes sjclaeys disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This may be entirely too complicated but is there a way to create a points system that rewards the nervous newbie with extra points for riding more often or longer. In other words can we create a scoring system that rewards challenging oneself and improvement.

10. Likes Steve O, Ben, obscurerichard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I like Subby's idea he tossed out earlier this year -- individual leaderboard is based solely on miles ridden (no cap), team leaderboard is based solely on days ridden (at least 1 mile). I'm indifferent to the size of teams, but I like local teams (although they're more of a pain to set up). Alternatively, we could select captains from a volunteer pool, and have them draft players (this is cycling, drafting is important right?).
    This is genius so genius I forgot I suggested it.

Post Thanks / Like

I vote no participants tear their Achilles in early March and miss the end of the competition.

I didn't like the mileage cap. I don't think it made it much closer, and it annoyed higher mileage riders. I'm okay annoying people for a better competition, but if I'm going to annoy people simply for annoyance sake, I'd rather be more creative about it.

I love that i nearly died of heat stroke two days ago and today we're talking about Freezing Saddles.

Local teams do not work well for DC residents. On average, VA and MD residents have longer commutes and just do more miles. The year I was on a DC team I was our leading scorer but would have been 4th or 5th on the top teams, and I don't think this is unusual. If we want to do regional teams that might work? MD teams and VA teams and then DC folks go one or the other depending on location in the city? Sounds complicated, though.

I've said for years that we should drop non-participants. I think the threshold should be more towards days ridden rather than mileage - if you ride 1-3 miles 4-5 days a week, awesome. If you ride once a week, regardless of mileage, bye.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
    This may be entirely too complicated but is there a way to create a points system that rewards the nervous newbie with extra points for riding more often or longer. In other words can we create a scoring system that rewards challenging oneself and improvement.
    It wouldn't be hard to give a points bump to someone classified as a newbie. The hard part is classifying newbies properly. New to cycling vs new to winter riding vs new to BAFS? We don't want to give bonus points to year-round 300 miles a week riders just because this is their first BAFS

14. Likes Steve O, Nadine liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like