Likes Likes:  409
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: BAFS 2020 teams and rules discussion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I propose that a small group of longtime participants - a cabal, if you will - gets together nightly. We review each ride and assign points based on how many points we want to assign. All of RCannon's rides are worth -10 unless he involved a puppy. Bob James gets one point for each 500 miles. Rides to breweries get 100 bonus points.
    In for the "cabal".

2. Likes Steve O, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Competitive /Casual Teams

Meh. It's a COMPETITION! I would not divide further. If people want to ride casually, then they can without the further gnashing of teeth / data and randomization of BAFS Admin folks.

Also I support Max 150 MPW. I know a lot of folks who stopped riding when they reached 100 last year.

Local teams would be nice, but, on top of the milage balance, feels like a lot of work for someone other than myself.

4. Likes Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm late to the party... is it too late to sign up? If not, where is the sign-up form?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBikeCommute View Post
    I think I'm late to the party... is it too late to sign up? If not, where is the sign-up form?
    Have no fear, you're too early to sign up!

7. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Have no fear, you're too early to sign up!
    Your saddle may already have frozen these past 2 days, but Freezing Saddles does not officially begin until January 1.
    Last edited by bentbike33; 11-15-2019 at 04:21 PM.

9. 11-14-2019, 12:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Your saddle may already have frozen these past 2 days, but Freezings Saddles does not officially begin until January 1.
    Cool, thanks. When does team sign-up open, and when does assignment happen?

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBikeCommute View Post
    Cool, thanks. When does team sign-up open, and when does assignment happen?
    Sign up generally opens around Thanksgiving and closes 3-4 weeks later. Assignments occur at the initial happy hour, which I believe is still TBD.

12. Likes AlexBikeCommute liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When will it end??

So this is the year we've been waiting for. Yes, as pointed out several years ago, 2020 is the leap year that creates a question about the end date for Freezing Saddles.

Freezing Saddles has always ended on the last full day of winter, which has been March 19 for every year so far. In 2016 that made FS an extra day long (79 days rather than 78), because February had 29 days

Winter ends and spring begins at 11:49 PM EDT on March 19, 2020, which makes March 18 the last full day of winter.
    Options include:
    • Keep FS 78 days long, retain the "last full day of winter" guideline, and end at midnight on March 18
    • End at the exact end of winter: 11:49 pm on March 19 (the FSLNHPP would have to start 11 minutes earlier I suppose)
    • End at midnight on Thursday, March 19, slopping over slightly into spring, making FS 79 days long as it was in 2016, retaining the traditional end date of March 19

(BTW - this issue will not arise again in most of our lifetimes. Looking forward, spring starts on March 20 EDT for several decades)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    So this is the year we've been waiting for. Yes, as pointed out several years ago, 2020 is the leap year that creates a question about the end date for Freezing Saddles.

Freezing Saddles has always ended on the last full day of winter, which has been March 19 for every year so far. In 2016 that made FS an extra day long (79 days rather than 78), because February had 29 days

Winter ends and spring begins at 11:49 PM EDT on March 19, 2020, which makes March 18 the last full day of winter.
    Options include:
    • Keep FS 78 days long, retain the "last full day of winter" guideline, and end at midnight on March 18
    • End at the exact end of winter: 11:49 pm on March 19 (the FSLNHPP would have to start 11 minutes earlier I suppose)
    • End at midnight on Thursday, March 19, slopping over slightly into spring, making FS 79 days long as it was in 2016, retaining the traditional end date of March 19

(BTW - this issue will not arise again in most of our lifetimes. Looking forward, spring starts on March 20 EDT for several decades)
    Not a hard question IMO -- go with the "last day of winter", and end at midnight on March 19th (option #3). 11 minutes of spring isn't going to bother anyone.

15. Likes Judd, Emm, Sunyata, Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    11 minutes of spring isn't going to bother anyone.
    Have you MET anyone?