Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Do we allow Germans to play??
    Jawohl, mein herr!

2. Likes Dachs6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brownws View Post
    Wow! there's a lot to take in for the newbie.

While it seems there are a lot of variables TBD, What are the basics? Is there an FAQ somewhere?

Some things I'd like to know:
    How does Strava fit in/do you need their summit service? Can kids participate?
    What kind of sensors are necessary?

Thanks!
    The top stickied thread in this forum should have some basic info -- but for last year. Some things might change though, but the basic idea will remain the same. Answers to some of your questions:
    * Strava is required, that's how the rides are tracked
    * Premium version is not required
    * Not sure about a minimum age (for FS or Strava)
    * Just a smartphone with GPS is sufficient, you can install the Strava app there. Of course you can always use a dedicated bike computer with GPS (and pair other sensors, but they are not necessary)

4. Likes Nadine, Brownws liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Can kids participate?
    The way kids have participated in the past is through the #kidical contests, which are meant for children who ride with their parents (or other adults), either as passengers or along with on their own bikes.

If a child is old enough to commute to school unaccompanied on her own bike and is likely to do it more often than not Jan-Mar, then I would not argue against her playing solo.
    I'd be curious to get others' opinions on that.

6. Likes josh, AlanA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana View Post
    I liked the team cap, I felt like it made everyone get really invested in otherís success and kept me from killing myself on weeks I should have been taking health brakes instead of trying to ride 30+ miles a day to beat Jim on the leaderboard. I would love to be able to have more happy hours and ways to be near teammates, but I understand how hard that can be, so I am happy with how it was last year! Basically just so excited for this game to start again!
    Jim? Which Jim?

8. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    The way kids have participated in the past is through the #kidical contests, which are meant for children who ride with their parents (or other adults), either as passengers or along with on their own bikes.

If a child is old enough to commute to school unaccompanied on her own bike and is likely to do it more often than not Jan-Mar, then I would not argue against her playing solo.
    I'd be curious to get others' opinions on that.

Thanks!

She rides on her own bike (with me or her mom) about 6 miles a day. So assuming last year's rules, would that give her team 100 (or 110) points before any other riding is considered? Presumably she would acknowledge that or some lower level when registering and could be put on a team (ideally with me -- do you guys do "baggage") that would know she may not max out the point every week.

Post Thanks / Like

Iím a pretty competitive person but Iím not a great athlete and donít have unlimited amounts of time to ride. I want to contribute to my team as much as possible but I donít plan to try to win the individual competition. Of course I want a point system that is most beneficial for riders like me. I vote for keeping the cap at 100 and adding the declining points system. 100 miles a week was a stretch for me so it encouraged me to ride more. 150 is well out my range so it wouldnít serve as a goal for me and I might ride less. A little data analysis might help set a cap that works for the most people. Does anyone know what the average miles per week across all players and weeks was last year (with cap) and the year before (no cap)?

11. Likes Hancockbs liked this post
    Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
    Jim? Which Jim?
    Bob James? But no one can beat him!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

She rides on her own bike (with me or her mom) about 6 miles a day. So assuming last year's rules, would that give her team 100 (or 110) points before any other riding is considered? Presumably she would acknowledge that or some lower level when registering and could be put on a team (ideally with me -- do you guys do "baggage") that would know she may not max out the point every week.
    She'd need her own Strava account to be on a team. A better option would be the Pointless Kid Leaderboard, where she can have her miles tracked without a separate account.

14. Likes Judd, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that wouldn't be too much of a hurdle though. I loaded on an old phone this morning and it looks like it will load rides over WI-FI

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that wouldn't be too much of a hurdle though. I loaded on an old phone this morning and it looks like it will load rides over WI-FI
    I think it's best we do not collect any personal information from anyone under 13 - Congress in their infinite misunderstanding of the internet passed some laws that really heavily restrict what you are and aren't allowed to collect and by doing so have protected approximately zero children but made sites, even huge ones, just disable accounts for children (this is why so many websites make you click "I'm over 13"). Since I am aware of these laws but do not know how to follow them, unless someone else is an expert, I think it's best we don't pull data for kids. That was the point of the Pointless Kids - it was using the parent's account and a made up name for the kid so we don't get into this mess.

17. Likes LhasaCM liked this post