Likes Likes:  465
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 206

Thread: BAFS 2020 teams and rules discussion

  1. #161
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    2,100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    The new points system feels like it was designed by committee.
    It was.

  2. Likes Steve O, BobCochran liked this post
  3. #162
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pentagon City in Arlington VA
    Posts
    4,972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    The new points system feels like it was designed by committee.
    It was originally Bob James's idea. The committee merely endorsed it.

  4. #163
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Oak Hill
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    It was originally Bob James's idea. The committee merely endorsed it.
    Glad for both—I like these rules.

  5. #164
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sticky talks about more heavily weighting the early miles of "each ride", not first miles each day. If I have two five mile rides on one day, is that 2x50 = 100 points, or just 10 mi / 65 points?

  6. Likes G-Daddy liked this post
  7. #165
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Penrose in Arlington, VA
    Posts
    681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    Sticky talks about more heavily weighting the early miles of "each ride", not first miles each day. If I have two five mile rides on one day, is that 2x50 = 100 points, or just 10 mi / 65 points?
    Your miles are cumulative for a ride day. So you would get 10 points for the ride day plus 65 points for the 10 miles (2 x 5) = 75 points total.

  8. #166
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pentagon City in Arlington VA
    Posts
    4,972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chuxtr View Post
    Your miles are cumulative for a ride day. So you would get 10 points for the ride day plus 65 points for the 10 miles (2 x 5) = 75 points total.
    Not quite. The 65 points includes the 10 bonus points for riding. So a single 10-mile ride, 2 5-mile rides (or 10 1-mile rides) in a day results in a daily score of 65.
    10 (daily bonus) + 10+9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 = 65

  9. #167
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,639
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A system so complicated that various smart peoples come to different numerical conclusions. Only around DC could this be. Glad I'm just here to ride my biek.

  10. Likes musclys, Jessica Hirschhorn liked this post
  11. #168
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbia Heights, DC
    Posts
    4,272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    A system so complicated that various smart peoples come to different numerical conclusions. Only around DC could this be. Glad I'm just here to ride my biek.
    But that's why we let the computer calculate the points. Python is better at math than chuxtr

  12. #169
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    mclean
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    A system so complicated that various smart peoples come to different numerical conclusions. Only around DC could this be. Glad I'm just here to ride my biek.
    Don't lose hope. I'm sure we can over-complicate this quite a bit more.

  13. #170
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,639
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by musclys View Post
    Don't lose hope. I'm sure we can over-complicate this quite a bit more.
    We makes the point competition a function of the number of spokes that complete a full rotation. The more spokes your wheels have (and the more wheels you have), the higher you score!

  14. Likes Kegibbs, kwarkentien liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •