Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More cyclists out there than last year?

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I felt pretty slow this morning in the 28 degree weather, but looking at my GPS, it was mostly in my head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    you looking for some fast folks to ride with? I haven't seen the 'lawyer express' that usually goes from just inside the beltway to K St. in quite a while, either, now that you mention it.
    I like to wheel suck later on in the week when my legs start to feel a little past their prime, but yeah not too many speed demons out there these days. Also, I feel you on the perception of slowness. The other day when the wind was picking up in the early evening and I was plowing on the W&OD, I could have sworn that I was going backwards.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been commuting the same route since 2007, from Falls Church City on the W&OD to Custis, to Mt. Vernon to 14th St. Bridge to the Mall. I have noticed a definte uptick this last year, 2011. There was somewhat of an uptick in 2010. My employer had to triple the number of indoor bike racks since 2007 to accomodate the increase in riders from then to now, admittedly they only had a few racks back in 2007 though.

Frankly, I kind of like it now that the joggers and fair weather bikers are gone even though it was 27F this morning. While I don't commute all 11 miles one way to DC every day (even when the weather is nice), I can only manage one or two days per week in winter although I do ride most days the 1.5 mile to the EFC Metro where I rent a locker. I find that winter riders usually always announce they are passing.

As much as I enjoy riding, I think without more improvements, it is just overall less enjoyable when the weather is nice than now because it is too crowded. I even started taking streets in the afternoon when the weather is nice rather than the trails. I feel like the level of attentiveness I must give to avoid incidents is very high, it seriously requires almost as much attention as if I were driving a car on the beltway. It's nice in winter to be able to let my mind wander while riding and not be focused solely on avoiding peds and other bikers.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

This makes the start of my fifth year of daily commuting starting in 2007 and my impression is that each year there have been a few more people on bikes. With the nice weather on Monday and Tuesday the trails were almost crowded.

Post Thanks / Like

This morning was definitely sparse. Doesn't Arlington have a new monitoring system in place that you can check in on. Would be interesting to compare Mon-Tues and today.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say - I changed commutes in March (new work location) so I'm not on the W&OD as much and mine is usually the only bike on the rack @ work. Especially now with shorter cooler days. Although the other day, my timing must've been perfect - there were 5 of us on the W&OD heading west out of Herndon center. All well-lit (it was dusk), too. Now if the trail ninjas would just take a few weeks off....

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

To have fewer people on the trail this morning, I would have had to get off the trail myself.

Post Thanks / Like

All for the good of cycling

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    I have been commuting the same route since 2007, from Falls Church City on the W&OD to Custis, to Mt. Vernon to 14th St. Bridge to the Mall. I have noticed a definte uptick this last year, 2011. There was somewhat of an uptick in 2010. My employer had to triple the number of indoor bike racks since 2007 to accomodate the increase in riders from then to now, admittedly they only had a few racks back in 2007 though.

Frankly, I kind of like it now that the joggers and fair weather bikers are gone even though it was 27F this morning. While I don't commute all 11 miles one way to DC every day (even when the weather is nice), I can only manage one or two days per week in winter although I do ride most days the 1.5 mile to the EFC Metro where I rent a locker. I find that winter riders usually always announce they are passing.

As much as I enjoy riding, I think without more improvements, it is just overall less enjoyable when the weather is nice than now because it is too crowded. I even started taking streets in the afternoon when the weather is nice rather than the trails. I feel like the level of attentiveness I must give to avoid incidents is very high, it seriously requires almost as much attention as if I were driving a car on the beltway. It's nice in winter to be able to let my mind wander while riding and not be focused solely on avoiding peds and other bikers.
    That's why I prefer to ride on (quiet) streets instead of trails when possible, at least during peak hours. Or I try to ride on the trails in off-peak hours. You're right that riding on trails during peak hours is very similar to driving on the Beltway in busy hours. There are too many people who cross the yellow line to pass even when there is oncoming traffic in the other direction. Some people seem to think that they have the right of way to ride on the other side of the center line just because they are passing. Other people will ride side by side, more often on the weekends.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pfunkallstar View Post
    This morning was definitely sparse. Doesn't Arlington have a new monitoring system in place that you can check in on. Would be interesting to compare Mon-Tues and today.
    Yes, we've seen increases using our automated trail counters. We're working on a portal that can be access by the public for the future. In the meantime, I'm happy to take questions on specific requests that we have data on.
    Last edited by Tim Kelley; 12-05-2011 at 10:06 AM.