Likes Likes:  62
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reflective vests and infrared touchless faucets

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

As noted before, the law requires cyclists to have certain equipment for visibility.
    https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...tion46.2-1015/

Post Thanks / Like

I don't object to cyclists being visible. I encourage lots of lights and reflective gear. What I object to is specific gear requirements to interact with special gear we'll put in cars so that drivers can say "well, my Cyclist Censor didn't see you, so it's not my fault I ran you over".

3. Likes Judd, scoot, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    ... it always give me a laugh when my reflective vest turns on all the touchless faucets as I walk by them, far from normal hand washing distance. (Anyone else have this experience?)
    This happened to me yesterday. Normally, the sensor to turn on the faucet works at max of 5". With my reflective backpack, it was 5'.

OK, y'all can get back to arguing

5. Likes Starduster, AFHokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    OK, y'all can get back to arguing
    No YOU can get back to arguing

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    As noted before, the law requires cyclists to have certain equipment for visibility.
    https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...tion46.2-1015/
    Correct. And both Jon and I stated that if a driver runs over a cyclist who is riding legally, it is the driver's fault. Full stop. You then took up valuable thread space with imaginary hypotheticals that were unrelated to our point.
    People walking, on the other hand, have no such requirements. Still the driver's fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    Don't ever complain about a ninja then.
    If I were to run into someone walking on the trail who was hard to see, I would consider it my fault, just like if I were to run into a deer standing on the trail (although they do have those cool reflective eyeballs), or a fallen tree limb lying across the trail. If I cannot see far enough ahead to avoid these kinds of things, I am riding too fast. My fault.

A person riding a bike at night without a light, however, is riding illegally, and I feel comfortable complaining about those types of ninjas.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I don't object to cyclists being visible. I encourage lots of lights and reflective gear. What I object to is specific gear requirements to interact with special gear we'll put in cars so that drivers can say "well, my Cyclist Censor didn't see you, so it's not my fault I ran you over".
    But wait a minute....
    Don't reflectors and reflective gear interact with special gear called headlights that are put in cars?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    But wait a minute....
    Don't reflectors and reflective gear interact with special gear called headlights that are put in cars?
    Yes. However, any reflector interacts with any light, and cars have been required to have headlights since forever (citation needed). Let's just say we passed a victim-blaming law that said every cyclist had to ride with a Don't Kill Me Beacon and every car had to have a Cyclist Sensor (And I like my typo in the previous post, I'm not fixing that). What would that COST? It would realistically be YEARS before every bike and every car had the right equipment. And you know that UPS would lobby against having to put Cyclist Sensors in their trucks, and they'd be made exempt. USPS would be the same. WMATA buses. Police cars. Range Rovers.

It's just another expensive tech solution to a problem that could be solved by punishing drivers for dangerous behavior.

10. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem I see here is that a couple of dozen posts ago someone proposed a couple of hypotheticals, and some people are supporting one and some people are arguing against the other, leading to an increasingly long thread where people are arguing for and against things which nobody on the other side is talking about. I guess that might be a first on the internet.

12. Likes ChristoB50, Steve O, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    The problem I see here is that a couple of dozen posts ago someone proposed a couple of hypotheticals, and some people are supporting one and some people are arguing against the other, leading to an increasingly long thread where people are arguing for and against things which nobody on the other side is talking about. I guess that might be a first on the internet.
    Oh yeah—- and today at work my reflective vest activated the hallway water bottle filler spout as I walked by!

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Yes. However, any reflector interacts with any light, and cars have been required to have headlights since forever (citation needed). Let's just say we passed a victim-blaming law that said every cyclist had to ride with a Don't Kill Me Beacon and every car had to have a Cyclist Sensor (And I like my typo in the previous post, I'm not fixing that). What would that COST? It would realistically be YEARS before every bike and every car had the right equipment. And you know that UPS would lobby against having to put Cyclist Sensors in their trucks, and they'd be made exempt. USPS would be the same. WMATA buses. Police cars. Range Rovers.

It's just another expensive tech solution to a problem that could be solved by punishing drivers for dangerous behavior.
    Methinks you took my comment more seriously than it deserved. It was merely intended as snarky pedantry.