Likes Likes:  60
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Reflective vests and infrared touchless faucets

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    However, any reflector interacts with any light, and cars have been required to have headlights since forever (citation needed).
    Man, this led me down a rabbit hole. Interestingly enough, Massachusetts was the first state to require automobiles to have electric headlights in 1915, other states followed by the early 20's. It seems unclear whether prior to that automobiles were required to have any source of lighting, although many of them had oil lamps.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bl...tive-lighting/

2. Likes jrenaut, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are generally speaking a self-selected community of safety weenies, arguing over safety weenie minutiae. Needless to say, I'm very proud.

4. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Methinks you took my comment more seriously than it deserved. It was merely intended as snarky pedantry.
    Come on, man, how long have I known you? Aside from the occasional advice on frugal cycling, do you post anything else?

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I don't object to cyclists being visible. I encourage lots of lights and reflective gear. What I object to is specific gear requirements to interact with special gear we'll put in cars so that drivers can say "well, my Cyclist Censor didn't see you, so it's not my fault I ran you over".
    Yeah, I completely agree on that.

7. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    If I were to run into someone walking on the trail who was hard to see, I would consider it my fault, just like if I were to run into a deer standing on the trail (although they do have those cool reflective eyeballs), or a fallen tree limb lying across the trail. If I cannot see far enough ahead to avoid these kinds of things, I am riding too fast. My fault.
    I'd say it depends on where they are, if they are moving, what direction they are moving relative to you, etc. Just as a bike is required to have reflectors, etc. to have a reasonably minimum level of visibility. If someone goes out on a moonless night dressed in a black body-suit and runs back and forth across the trail in front of cyclists, I'm not going to hold the cyclists responsible if they are hit.

A person riding a bike at night without a light, however, is riding illegally, and I feel comfortable complaining about those types of ninjas.
    I thought a ninja was a pedestrian in all black with no reflectors, etc. But why treat a cyclist with not light differently simply because the law requires them to have a light? Wouldn't the same principle apply?

Post Thanks / Like

You then took up valuable thread space with imaginary hypotheticals that were unrelated to our point.
    If that's a problem, then most of the threads here qualify. It's just a discussion where people come to understanding what the other means. Anyway, here's a great opportunity to end it.
    Last edited by baiskeli; 10-01-2019 at 11:15 AM.

10. Likes Steve O, Judd liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    I'd say it depends on where they are, if they are moving, what direction they are moving relative to you, etc. Just as a bike is required to have reflectors, etc. to have a reasonably minimum level of visibility. If someone goes out on a moonless night dressed in a black body-suit and runs back and forth across the trail in front of cyclists, I'm not going to hold the cyclists responsible if they are hit.
    Congrats! The grand champion of imaginary hypotheticals!
    Last edited by Steve O; 10-01-2019 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Why not end with a grand champion?

12. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! The grand champion of imaginary hypotheticals!
    Yes, exactly. Also known as reductio ad absurdum.

https://www.iep.utm.edu/reductio/

14. Likes Judd liked this post