ID:	20436

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B0BE148D-4EB4-4126-BDB6-DEE195A6A546.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	20437

2. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Riding through this evening with the rain, you can see just how poorly this job was done. There were three large pools of water, one of which was at least a foot deep, at different points in the new section, which are from obvious grading problems in the construction. Considering there weren't pools of water under Mt Vernon or Glebe Road on 4MR, I imagine this will be a lot worse in bigger rain events.

I thought this project was done poorly to begin with, but what came out of this is worse than what was there before. The developer either did this on the cheap or had no idea what they were doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    Riding through this evening with the rain, you can see just how poorly this job was done. There were three large pools of water, one of which was at least a foot deep, at different points in the new section, which are from obvious grading problems in the construction. Considering there weren't pools of water under Mt Vernon or Glebe Road on 4MR, I imagine this will be a lot worse in bigger rain events.

I thought this project was done poorly to begin with, but what came out of this is worse than what was there before. The developer either did this on the cheap or had no idea what they were doing.
    Yeah. I commute through here every day and I am not quite sure how this is better both aesthetically and functionality wise. The pools were even worse after it was first built, so I am really hoping it has something to do with drainage that they will fix at the other side of the fence.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the county a) have engineering standards for trails other than the basics like width, or b) simply fail to enforce them during inspections or plan review?

Poor engineering of cycle paths seems to be a nearly universal phenomenon, starting with a lack of proper slope, no provisions for drainage, and poor sub-base compaction (hence the dips and depressions that fill with water). And they wonder why the asphalt pavement fails prematurely under the negligible loading imposed by bicycles. Apparently civil engineering is a lost art where cycle trails are concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by semperiden View Post
    Yeah. I commute through here every day and I am not quite sure how this is better both aesthetically and functionality wise. The pools were even worse after it was first built, so I am really hoping it has something to do with drainage that they will fix at the other side of the fence.
    I don't think it's a drainage issue, though widening the path may have left less surface area to absorb rainwater. The asphalt has been really uneven since day 1, making me think it's a mix of grading and low spots on the path that collect water. Just poor construction in general there, and makes me wonder about the quality of construction in the development they are building.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    I don't think it's a drainage issue, though widening the path may have left less surface area to absorb rainwater. The asphalt has been really uneven since day 1, making me think it's a mix of grading and low spots on the path that collect water. Just poor construction in general there, and makes me wonder about the quality of construction in the development they are building.
    Agree that itís poor grading more than anything else. Unless the surface is graded to shed water, nothing they do on the still under development side of the fence will help.

My question is, if construction of the path was an Arlington requirement on the builder, who in Arlington is responsible for ensuring it was done properly?

Bike Arlington- any thoughts?

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone, for reporting it to this thread. I made ArlCo aware of this thread, and they're looking into it. The answer I got was that the developer is responsible for it, because it was a condition of the site plan. ArlCo should have inspected when it was done, and probably did, but it seems like these issues may not have been clear at that point (or I could be totally off and they haven't inspected yet because the totality of the work isn't done). Either way, developer is still responsible for problems with the construction.

FWIW, there's been a kinda similar issue in Courthouse -- a developer went rogue and changed the westbound (climbing) bike lane on 14th St N just west of the Queen St bridge into parking. ArlCo put up no parking signs but hasn't restored the bike lane. It has been 6 months.

9. Likes secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for reporting it to this thread. I made ArlCo aware of this thread, and they're looking into it. The answer I got was that the developer is responsible for it, because it was a condition of the site plan. ArlCo should have inspected when it was done, and probably did, but it seems like these issues may not have been clear at that point (or I could be totally off and they haven't inspected yet because the totality of the work isn't done). Either way, developer is still responsible for problems with the construction.
    Gillian, to whom at the County did you refer this?

Henry

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Gillian, to whom at the County did you refer this?
    Ritch, and I've already heard back that they've spoken to the contractor. Work will be done next month, which will require the trail to be closed for a few days - the detour will be the new sidewalk (which means the schedule could slip if the sidewalk isn't ready).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Ritch, and I've already heard back that they've spoken to the contractor. Work will be done next month, which will require the trail to be closed for a few days - the detour will be the new sidewalk (which means the schedule could slip if the sidewalk isn't ready).
    Thanks. I rode it this morning and it was fine. Fence is down and could be things will drain toward the parking lot. Also looks like there will at least be a connecting path for the residents.

Henry