Likes Likes:  31
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Four Mile Run Trail Detour between Meade and Lang

Post Thanks / Like

Rode through here yesterday. Since I kinda refuse to do any detour that involves putting cyclists on a sidewalk, I just went back down Glebe, right on Mount Vernon, right on Four Mile Road, then through some apartment complexes over to West Glebe (which can connect you back to the trail, although I didn't do that). Admittedly this would not be good for a daily commute, but it had the benefit of extra distance and a spot of elevation gain.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep forgetting to do Army Navy. Another choice (similar to Huskerdonts) would be Mt Vernon Ave to Four Mile Road to Old Dominion to Tennessee back to Glebe (where you must take the lane over the bridge, because the sidewalk is still closed) back to the 4MRT. (edit - you actually have to take Valley from Tennessee to Glebe, but you will hardly notice)

I did not do quite that last night, because I wanted to explore more of Mt Vernon Avenue for complete streets advocacy purposes. So I ended up taking West Glebe from Mt Vernon to a left on Executive (I considered making a left on to Russell, but wimped out). Not the kind of route I would usually take, but it worked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoB50 View Post
    So far riding it both ways each day this week, I don't find the temporary detour nearly bad enough to warrant any alternate route (specifically re: the in-traffic riding required for Subby's route, and nasty crossing waiting at the end of Dismal's route.)
    You bomb down Arlington Ridge so fast that you aren't in traffic, you ARE traffic.

4. Likes Emm, ChristoB50, josh, rcannon100 liked this post
    Dislikes josh disliked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    You bomb down Arlington Ridge so fast that you aren't in traffic, you ARE traffic.
    Given that the speed limit is 25, one may use varying definitions of "bomb." On that section of Ridge, you can likely coast down at 25.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG the new pavement looks like nirvana! Smooth as silk, beautifully wide. I expect that 2 block stretch will be a tiny slice of bliss!
    Last edited by ChristoB50; 09-27-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

They must have opened it after I went through around 6:30. Looking forward to trying the new segment.

Post Thanks / Like

Pics please!!

Post Thanks / Like

Not open yet. Just looked at it longingly thru the fencing...

10. Likes dasgeh, Hancockbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went through it both ways today and have a couple comments:

- The pavement is really uneven for a brand new section of paving. Compared to the sections of 4MR further east recently rebuilt, it's of a much lower quality job.
    - Going west, the widened part abruptly narrows before going around the curve to the T intersection next to Glebe. It's an odd transition and would have been nice if they completed the widening all the way to Glebe instead of stopping short.

12. Likes ChristoB50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed... I suppose because the apartment contractor did this as part of that project, perhaps it didn’t receive the same attention as a county repaving would’ve? And perhaps the county would have said, what’s 50 more feet to reach Glebe, and thus fix the messy bits right near that 3way...
    sigh.

14. 10-02-2019, 12:23 PM