Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Appalachian Journey - April 11, 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    I can not recommend the carbon Warbird highly enough. It has exceeded all of my expectations of a gravel bike. So much so, that when it became very apparent that my original Warbird was too small, I got another Warbird.
    The Warbird, and the Giant Revolt Advanced (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/re...dvanced-0-2020) are currently at the top of my list. I tried the Warbird out when I got my renegade and thought it was really fun to ride. Birru recommended the Revolt, so I think that's worth a serious look too. I'm not planning on making the purchase until after the holidays, so I'm going to try them both out over the next few weeks hopefully and mull over my decision...

2. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Just put some *thicc* and ~SuPpLe~ tires on your Renegade.
    I second that. I just got a supple Surly Straggler (700 x 45 tires which can also do 650b x 45). It is a damn fine bike for gravel. Renegade should be a great gravel bike. Check out this guys excellent reviews of supple gravel bikes http://www.pathlesspedaled.com/

That said.... I mean.... WARBIRD!!

(you might also try the KONA Rove)

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

What's people's plans for crank and cassette sizes? My gravel bike currently has a 42 crank with a 12-36 10 speed cassette. It looks like the 65 mile route has about a 1,000 foot climb over 5 miles and then a 1,800 ish climb over 4-5 miles. It looks like an 11-42 is available for the cassette and I could go as low a 34T up front.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    What's people's plans for crank and cassette sizes? My gravel bike currently has a 42 crank with a 12-36 10 speed cassette. It looks like the 65 mile route has about a 1,000 foot climb over 5 miles and then a 1,800 ish climb over 4-5 miles. It looks like an 11-42 is available for the cassette and I could go as low a 34T up front.
    Run what ya brung...

That being said, I have a 50/34 up front (chain ring sizes, not crank size, my crank is 172.5 ) and an 11-36 in the back. That set up has been perfect for just about everything. However, if I had a 1x, I would want a 42 up front and an 11-42 in the back. A 1:1 ratio should be plenty for all but the steepest grades. Although, I am a masher, not a spinner. If I was a spinner, I would probably go for a 38 up front and an 11-42 in the rear. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    38x17?

But yeah I'd agree with Casey that a 1:1 ratio should be good for paved/gravel climbs that aren't stupid steep if you're not carrying stuff. I used a 34x11-42 for the Dirt Farm Hill Climb and it was nice for that, but it'd be way too spinny for the flats and descents.

Post Thanks / Like

38x17?

But yeah I'd agree with Casey that a 1:1 ratio should be good for paved/gravel climbs that aren't stupid steep if you're not carrying stuff. I used a 34x11-42 for the Dirt Farm Hill Climb and it was nice for that, but it'd be way too spinny for the flats and descents.
    Considering that I accidentally raced Ed Sander on a 40x17, I can attest that the Journey is totally doable on a 38x17.

#SoGladThereWasBourbonAtTheTop

Post Thanks / Like

Free agent here, looking for a teammate!

Post Thanks / Like

38x17?
    40x17

10. Likes Judd, Sunyata liked this post