Likes Likes:  31
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SIGHTING: WOD Arlington - Wilson Boulevard Underpass Work Crew

Post Thanks / Like

Passed thru out and back today. Work crew was just doing brush work in the trees.

Speaking of this location, They also sure do need to fix that collection of root bumps on the trail just east of the detour. As is common, they dealt with them a couple of years ago, but they're back big time.

Regarding root bumps, won a victory this week after dogged (8-week!) campaign with NPS. Extremely hazardous and huge root bumps on the MVT, right at the mirror, where the concrete meets the asphalt behind the power plant, finally fixed. Bumps were at the bottom of a hill (southbound) and a blind curve (hence the mirror there).

Last week I was northbound there, and nearly got hit head on by a southbound guy who hit the bumps and lost control of his bike. He missed me by a couple of inches and crashed into the fence (he was just scratched and bruised, his bike fared worse).

Duly reported all to NPS, perhaps that was what finally got them to do the fix. They also fixed some bad bumps on the straightaway just to the south as well. Bottomline: sometimes persistence pays off, other times sadly, it takes an accident.

2. Likes ChristoB50, dasgeh, Steve O, wheels&wings liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

To whom did you persist? Methinks we need to focus a new persistence on getting the root heaves on the TR Bridge ramp shaved again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    To whom did you persist? Methinks we need to focus a new persistence on getting the root heaves on the TR Bridge ramp shaved again.
    GW Memorial Parkway HQ: (703) 289-2500

Rangers (Arlington Cemetery Office):

Brent O’Neill (Supervisory Park Ranger); (202) 438-6614

Jeff Long, Seasonal Ranger (Apr-Oct); (703) 235-1530

5. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    The light wasn't ever really designed to let pedestrians cross. It was a speed-control measure. It turns red automatically when you roll down that hill too fast. I think that's why it is in that location, to give enough room to catch speeding cars from the west before they blow through.
    Perhaps, although that does not explain why it could not have been installed at N. Lexington.

7. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Perhaps, although that does not explain why it could not have been installed at N. Lexington.
    Sometimes neighbors oppose lights at neighborhood streets because more people use the street if there's a light.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It's possible they wanted to control speed coming down the hill from the opposite direction too.

All I know is it wasn't really about pedestrians crossing, but about speed control.

Post Thanks / Like

All the cones blocking the trail crossing at Manchester were gone this morning. Anyone have intel on what may be going on? (The Pollyanna in me is hoping that means they’re installing a temporary crossing there, but...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smb9600 View Post
    All the cones blocking the trail crossing at Manchester were gone this morning. Anyone have intel on what may be going on? (The Pollyanna in me is hoping that means they’re installing a temporary crossing there, but...)
    Interesting. "Someone" lumberjacked about half of them out of the way and over to the detour sign a few days ago. I sent an email last week to the County (including the County Board) making some suggestions for improving safety here. The response said that the staff was "keeping the Board informed on how they are handling (it)"

12. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. "Someone" lumberjacked about half of them out of the way and over to the detour sign a few days ago. I sent an email last week to the County (including the County Board) making some suggestions for improving safety here. The response said that the staff was "keeping the Board informed on how they are handling (it)"
    Aha! It was still a little dark when I was going through there so didn’t see down them. I wonder what would happen if they were lumberjacked to form a led crossing at Manchester?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk