Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIGHTING: WOD Arlington - Wilson Boulevard Underpass Work Crew

Post Thanks / Like

Default SIGHTING: WOD Arlington - Wilson Boulevard Underpass Work Crew

There was a work crew working on the Wilson Boulevard underpass as I pedaled past this morning. Fingers crossed that the repair to the caved in cement will be done soon.

2. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post
    There was a work crew working on the Wilson Boulevard underpass as I pedaled past this morning. Fingers crossed that the repair to the caved in cement will be done soon.
    I seriously doubt it will be done any time soon. According to DPR staff at Monday's BAC meeting, they are still in the process of getting engineers out there to figure out how to fix it and what the price tag will be. Then they'll have to find the money. They also seem not to have considered putting up a "dismount and walk bikes" sign and leaving a segment open. Or putting up signage for drivers on Wilson about the detour. All around, not a great performance.

All the streets damaged by the storm were repaired within a week. All the playgrounds were fixed within 6 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I seriously doubt it will be done any time soon. According to DPR staff at Monday's BAC meeting, they are still in the process of getting engineers out there to figure out how to fix it and what the price tag will be. Then they'll have to find the money. They also seem not to have considered putting up a "dismount and walk bikes" sign and leaving a segment open. Or putting up signage for drivers on Wilson about the detour. All around, not a great performance.

All the streets damaged by the storm were repaired within a week. All the playgrounds were fixed within 6 weeks.
    If it's going to be awhile to get the underpass fixed, then serious consideration should be put into painting a crosswalk at Manchester where the curb cuts are and putting either a "stop for pedestrians" sign or a 3-way stop between Wilson and Manchester. There are other mid-block crossings on Wilson so this wouldn't be unprecedented, though a temporary 3-way stop would be much safer for everyone going through the intersection.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Not that this really bothers me, but why did they put the traffic light at that location on Wilson rather than just at the intersection with Manchester. BTW, this would not be a "mid-block" crossing of Wilson and there is an implied crosswalk at Manchester.

6. Likes dasgeh, Steve O, Starduster, wheels&wings liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zsionakides View Post
    If it's going to be awhile to get the underpass fixed, then serious consideration should be put into painting a crosswalk at Manchester where the curb cuts are and putting either a "stop for pedestrians" sign or a 3-way stop between Wilson and Manchester. There are other mid-block crossings on Wilson so this wouldn't be unprecedented, though a temporary 3-way stop would be much safer for everyone going through the intersection.
    The detour was discussed at the BAC. Arlington staff seemed not hopeful that anything would change. I recommend writing powers that be -- countymanager and countyboard <at> arlingtonva.us

8. Likes Starduster liked this post
    baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Not that this really bothers me, but why did they put the traffic light at that location on Wilson rather than just at the intersection with Manchester.
    I'd guess it was meant for access to the tennis courts and park on the rose garden side and not anticipated as a detour. It could also be a matter of traffic having time to slow and stop and/or sight lines when turning from Manchester, which has no light.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Not that this really bothers me, but why did they put the traffic light at that location on Wilson rather than just at the intersection with Manchester. BTW, this would not be a "mid-block" crossing of Wilson and there is an implied crosswalk at Manchester.
    I remember when it was first installed, we discussed it at the BAC and we never got a good answer for why they selected that location. It is inconvenient whether you want to cross at Manchester (the Wilson underpass bypass) or at Bon Air Park/Lexington St. It just seems like a totally stupid location.

A painted crosswalk like at Lexington would be better than nothing. I lumberjacked the orange cones out of the way this morning. You're welcome.

11. Likes KWL, Judd, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Arlington Co. has created a situation where it is way safer to just roll through the tunnel.

13. Likes wheels&wings, Sunyata, TimV, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I lumberjacked the orange cones out of the way this morning. You're welcome.
    Imagine the traffic-calming effect if the cones were lumberjacked onto the lane lines between the vehicle lanes where the crossing SHOULD be at Manchester.

15. Likes Judd, Sunyata liked this post
    baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I remember when it was first installed, we discussed it at the BAC and we never got a good answer for why they selected that location.
    The light wasn't ever really designed to let pedestrians cross. It was a speed-control measure. It turns red automatically when you roll down that hill too fast. I think that's why it is in that location, to give enough room to catch speeding cars from the west before they blow through.

17. Likes dasgeh liked this post