Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: August 2019 - Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default August 2019 - Road and Trail Conditions

Maybe not apropos to everyone, but to those who ride in the Franconia area, good news.

Walker Lane, which runs between Beulah and the Franconia-Springfield Parkway (where the Inova complex is, plus lots of businesses), got a road diet! Four lanes down to two, with a bike lane on both sides and a wide buffer between the bike and vehicle lanes.

What they should consider next is better bike/ped access from the Metro station, only a couple blocks away.

Post Thanks / Like

The Park Service has closed Ohio Dr. under the 14th Street Bridge complex and the railroad bridges. The barriers they put up are a bit more bike-tight than yesterday, and they were digging a hole this morning. Anyway, avoid looping around between Case Bridge and 14th Street Bridge.

3. Likes buschwacker, ChristoB50, ursus, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    The Park Service has closed Ohio Dr. under the 14th Street Bridge complex and the railroad bridges. The barriers they put up are a bit more bike-tight than yesterday, and they were digging a hole this morning. Anyway, avoid looping around between Case Bridge and 14th Street Bridge.
    I wonder if they are trying to fix whatever caused flooding last summer in that area on several occasions. I haven't seen that problem this year, but I might not have been there when it happened,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    I wonder if they are trying to fix whatever caused flooding last summer in that area on several occasions. I haven't seen that problem this year, but I might not have been there when it happened,
    It's possible. The hole they were digging in the road this morning was along the curb where a problem storm drain might have been.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

The Walter Reed - Arlington Mill crosswalks/curb cuts were closed this morning (7 am). Hopefully they are correcting the issues raised on this forum when they redesign was originally done.

Post Thanks / Like

When did they put in the flashing pedestrian light at the turn for Whitehurst on Key Bridge?

8. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday evening, Beach Drive near the zoo entrance was blocked by a tree that fell across the road, hitting a car that was driving on the road. The trail was mostly blocked, but there was a narrow space between the tree and the zoo fence to walk my bike through.

This morning, the road was cleared, but the trail was still blocked. Thanks, NPS.

Post Thanks / Like

They were in the process of clearing it when I went by around 9:30am. Both the road and trail were closed for the removal. Should be done by now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    When did they put in the flashing pedestrian light at the turn for Whitehurst on Key Bridge?
    It wasn't there whenever I was there last, but that was probably at least a month ago.

Is the light just continuously flashing, or is it controlled with a beg button?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Looked all clear this morning. I did not go through, but the downstream barricade was gone.