Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: August 2019 - Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    It wasn't there whenever I was there last, but that was probably at least a month ago.

Is the light just continuously flashing, or is it controlled with a beg button?
    Saw it for the first time this morning; caught my attention while riding - can only hope it does the same for drivers. Seemed to perhaps be motion activated? It was on and then off and then on again, and I didn't see anyone stop to activate anything.

Now if we can only get them to remove the stupid crash barrels at that on-ramp because, you know, priorities - more important for a 2-ton death machine operator to be safely cushioned in a negligent impact than for hundreds of pedestrians and cyclists to have more than a three-foot gap through which to pass. Sigh.

Relatedly, I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I can't find the right thread - has anyone made any attempt at pursuing sanity with respect to the monster electronic sign parked on the south-side M St sidewalk between the NE corner of the Key Bridge and 34th? I get that it must be sooo important for drivers to know that 31st is closed, but do they really need to take what is essentially a bike/ped on/off ramp down to 2 feet wide for a full year?

2. Likes notinthe18, Dewey liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arlrider View Post
    Saw it for the first time this morning; caught my attention while riding - can only hope it does the same for drivers. Seemed to perhaps be motion activated? It was on and then off and then on again, and I didn't see anyone stop to activate anything.
    Yes, it seems to come on and off for no apparent reason. It was not blinking for me northbound on Wednesday morning as I turned onto the Whitehurst.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arlrider View Post

Now if we can only get them to remove the stupid crash barrels at that on-ramp because, you know, priorities - more important for a 2-ton death machine operator to be safely cushioned in a negligent impact than for hundreds of pedestrians and cyclists to have more than a three-foot gap through which to pass. Sigh.

Relatedly, I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I can't find the right thread - has anyone made any attempt at pursuing sanity with respect to the monster electronic sign parked on the south-side M St sidewalk between the NE corner of the Key Bridge and 34th? I get that it must be sooo important for drivers to know that 31st is closed, but do they really need to take what is essentially a bike/ped on/off ramp down to 2 feet wide for a full year?
    It's really only a matter of time before someone gets seriously-but-not-deathly injured at that little 34th/M/Key corner, and there's about 120120120121 ways it could happen (to a ped, a cyclist, a scooter user, a motorist, a wheelchair user, someone pushing a stroller, etc.). That placement makes no sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Yes, it seems to come on and off for no apparent reason. It was not blinking for me northbound on Wednesday morning as I turned onto the Whitehurst.
    I noticed today that it started flashing right when a pedestrian started crossing--not before, but right as he stepped into the intersection. It really should start a few second prior to crossing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by notinthe18 View Post
    It's really only a matter of time before someone gets seriously-but-not-deathly injured at that little 34th/M/Key corner, and there's about 120120120121 ways it could happen (to a ped, a cyclist, a scooter user, a motorist, a wheelchair user, someone pushing a stroller, etc.). That placement makes no sense.
    I start looking over my left shoulder as I'm rounding the corner coming off the bridge and then hop off the curb onto the street before the monster electric sign at the end (provided there's a safe break in traffic).

7. Likes notinthe18 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PA Ave. at the WH to be closed for seven months, starting Wednesday. They say you can still cycle through on the sidewalk, but it's not really worth it with the pedestrian traffic. I've never found a westbound alternative I especially like, although the Ellipse is passable when it's open. Eye Street is a cluster, and Constitution is okay-ish on a once-and-a-while basis. H Street is good eastbound.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...212_story.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    PA Ave. at the WH to be closed for seven months, starting Wednesday. They say you can still cycle through on the sidewalk, but it's not really worth it with the pedestrian traffic. I've never found a westbound alternative I especially like, although the Ellipse is passable when it's open. Eye Street is a cluster, and Constitution is okay-ish on a once-and-a-while basis. H Street is good eastbound.

Uggggggh. I don't mind riding through the park but the bottlenecks to get up onto the sidewalk to then get on the grass and around everyone will suck. Guess I'll take my longboard fenders off so I can jump up outside of a curb cut. Let's hope for a really cold winter to cut down on tourists.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post

Geez, they need the whole entire width of Pennsylvania Avenue to replace the White House fence? Must be the same contractor as the one doing the Memorial Bridge restoration where they keep squeezing down the width of the MVT between the plastic jersey barriers because they need more room to park equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Geez, they need the whole entire width of Pennsylvania Avenue to replace the White House fence? Must be the same contractor as the one doing the Memorial Bridge restoration where they keep squeezing down the width of the MVT between the plastic jersey barriers because they need more room to park equipment.
    They already have about three quarters of the width fenced off, such that you really have to slow down or even stop to not hit tourists at the bottleneck. Not that I'm complaining if it keeps the riff-raff contained within 1600. That's what this is for, right?

BTW, I noticed that with the Memorial Bridge construction--they put the Jersey barriers inside the width of the trail, rather than at the outer edges. I try not to take these things personally, but jeez.

Post Thanks / Like

Really? I will obey this sign when I see one that tells the drivers on Mt. Vernon Avenue to get out and push their cars over the bridge.
    Attached Images Attached Images