Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: August 2019 - Road and Trail Conditions

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    BTW, I noticed that with the Memorial Bridge construction--they put the Jersey barriers inside the width of the trail, rather than at the outer edges. I try not to take these things personally, but jeez.
    lum-ber-jack

verb

1. move or remove or otherwise change a human-created, absurd trail/sidewalk/road obstruction in order to convenience fellow non-car users

noun

1. tallish dude known for advocating improved bicycling facilities and culture, featured in the back pocket of certain custom-designed cycling jerseys

Post Thanks / Like

They already have about three quarters of the width fenced off, such that you really have to slow down or even stop to not hit tourists at the bottleneck. Not that I'm complaining if it keeps the riff-raff contained within 1600. That's what this is for, right?

BTW, I noticed that with the Memorial Bridge construction--they put the Jersey barriers inside the width of the trail, rather than at the outer edges. I try not to take these things personally, but jeez.
    Duh! It just occurred to me the reason they will use all of Pennsylvania Avenue for the project is that it won't inconvenience any cars! If PA Ave was still open to cars they would have done it all by closing just the sidewalk and bike lane exactly like every other construction project in DC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    Really? I will obey this sign when I see one that tells the drivers on Mt. Vernon Avenue to get out and push their cars over the bridge.
    I ride through there fairly often and, like you, I had not seen any reason to dismount and was wondering what the deal was... until the middle of the day the other day when there were suddenly a lot of workers under there blocking most of the trail doing construction of some sort (unclear what). And then, a few hours later... gone again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by notinthe18 View Post
    I ride through there fairly often and, like you, I had not seen any reason to dismount and was wondering what the deal was... until the middle of the day the other day when there were suddenly a lot of workers under there blocking most of the trail doing construction of some sort (unclear what). And then, a few hours later... gone again!
    Perhaps the workers could put the signs out only when they are working under the bridge? BTW, someone Lumberjacked the east sign.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. Likes Emm, bentbike33, notinthe18, dbb, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tree down blocking the spur to the trail that goes under the Humpback Bridge. The loop off of Humpback can be used to get around it. I guess the desire path is currently undesirable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6665.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	20316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	20317  

7. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by notinthe18 View Post
    Ditto. When the crew is on site (at unpredictable times) they tend to be all over the trail. Sightlines under the bridge are limited anyway, and with reduced space and people moving around, the warning is fair.

Literally nobody obeys the signs and dismounts, but it does warrant slowing down. If workers are there, they'll happily wave you through.

Agree, it would be nice if the signs were turned away when not relevant.

9. Likes notinthe18 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Steve O;192696]lum-ber-jack

verb

1. move or remove or otherwise change a human-created, absurd trail/sidewalk/road obstruction in order to convenience fellow non-car users

Riding to the DC United game last night, it looked like someone already moved them a bit. You can see the dead grass where they sat for so long, and the linking mechanisms for some of them had been lifted but not reattached.

11. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

riding to the dc united game last night, it looked like "someone" already moved them a bit. You can see the dead grass where they sat for so long, and the linking mechanisms for some of them had been lifted but not reattached.
    ftfy
    Last edited by mrhappy_onabike; 08-22-2019 at 03:50 PM.

13. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=huskerdont;192725]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    lum-ber-jack

verb

Riding to the DC United game last night, it looked like someone already moved them a bit. You can see the dead grass where they sat for so long, and the linking mechanisms for some of them had been lifted but not reattached.
    I miss the elite button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrhappy_onabike View Post
    ftfy
    Mr. Happy must be very strong for his size because those Jersey barriers are completely gone now.