Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CaBi bikes equipped with Enviolo Continuously Variable Planetary (CVP) hubs

Post Thanks / Like

Default New CaBi bikes equipped with Enviolo Continuously Variable Planetary (CVP) hubs

I passed one of these redesigned CaBi bikes at Virginia Square station this morning, wonder if this is a trial, a supplement to the fleet, or if the plan is to move away from Nexus 3 IGH? Enviolo have been working with CaBi operator Motivate since 2016, and the Enviolo/Nuvinci N330 hub is on CaBi+ pedelecs, this is the first time I've seen it used on CaBi pedal bikes.

https://twitter.com/aemt/status/1157...605211649?s=20

https://twitter.com/PblQuincy/status...057969152?s=20
    Last edited by Dewey; 08-02-2019 at 04:46 PM.

2. Likes Starduster, ChristoB50, buschwacker liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Those bikes were purchased for the recent expansion of Bikeshare in East Falls Church. They are the same form factor as the CaBi Plus.

Maybe Henry can answer if other jurisdictions are planning on purchasing these bikes. It seems the recent DC expansions have used the old school bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes Dewey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope it's not a trial -- they're great! The gear range seems to be somewhat higher than on the three-speed versions.

6. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I rode one a few weeks back. Was surprised I couldn't find any mention on CaBi's website about the new bikes, usually they promote those kinda things. Really enjoy the basket form factor on the new ones.

Any news on if/when the e-bikes are coming back? I was in NYC last weekend and noticed they don't have their Citi e-bikes back in service yet either so it must have been a real issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear the e-assist CaBis are returning this fall.

I rode a CVP version yesterday. It must take some getting used to - I constantly felt like I was in the wrong gear. Although my right calf is still mostly jello compared to pre-surgery, so part of it is probably me.

9. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the CVP. Feels like the gear ratio is wider. I also like that it doesn’t slip gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes Starduster, secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I like the CVP. Feels like the gear ratio is wider. I also like that it doesn’t slip gears.
    Maybe I just need to wait until my leg is back to something resembling normal

13. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I hear the e-assist CaBis are returning this fall.

I rode a CVP version yesterday. It must take some getting used to - I constantly felt like I was in the wrong gear. Although my right calf is still mostly jello compared to pre-surgery, so part of it is probably me.
    Maybe that is because the NuVinci's shifter progresses in the *opposite* direction as a Shimano derailleur or hub setup. A different sort of muscle memory that constantly found me shifting in the wrong direction...

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Maybe that is because the NuVinci's shifter progresses in the *opposite* direction as a Shimano derailleur or hub setup. A different sort of muscle memory that constantly found me shifting in the wrong direction...
    Wow. They should just turn the thing upside down.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got to try one yesterday after the overnight rain the CaBi bikes at the rack were soaking wet, but the new CaBi CVP bikes are equipped with enclosed Sturmey Archer drum brakes and I found they worked well even on a wet bike, strong and no brake fade going down hill on the Custis Trail towards Rosslyn. The rotary bell on the left grip is louder and more distinct than the ping bell on regular CaBi's. The hard plastic grips are a little uncomfortable, but the pedals are wide and grippy and the wide tires meant the bike felt very steady. I rode East across Roosevelt bridge so coming up from the Mt Vernon trail I needed to shift down gear, this is the first time I've ridden a pedal bike with a CVP up hill and was pleasantly surprised to find I could shift down incrementally while pedalling to dial in a comfortable cadence. One small niggle, I found with the new front cargo tray I could not wedge my backpack into it like on the regular CaBi's, the front catch for the bungee strap doesn't work and the bungee itself is too short so I just wrapped it over my bag, but the bungee strap held it in place and stopped it from falling out when riding over bumps. Overall I'm impressed with the new bikes.
    Last edited by Dewey; 08-15-2019 at 08:53 AM.

17. Likes Steve O, Starduster liked this post