Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Tenn cyclist struck on Old Georgetown Rd (Bethesda), 7/31/2019

Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tenn cyclist struck on Old Georgetown Rd (Bethesda), 7/31/2019

https://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2...e-in-bethesda/

"A teenager had to be rushed to the hospital in critical condition Wednesday evening after being struck and severely injured by a vehicle just south of the Capital Beltway in Bethesda, Maryland.

The crash happened just before 5 p.m. at Old Georgetown Road and Beech Avenue. The 17-year-old who was hit has life-threatening injuries. The striking driver remained on scene.

For people who live in that neighborhood, the crash is their worst fear realized.

“There’s no infrastructure in these suburban neighborhoods for bicyclists,” said Jim Spellman, whose family lives just off Old Georgetown Road."

According to @actfortransit, there have been 57 police-reported crashes with non-motorists on Old Georgetown Rd since 1/1/15. Like their tweets if you agree that Old Georgetown Rd needs to be rethought.

Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Post Thanks / Like

As is being reported, the teenager has died. Heartbreaking.

From a witness:
    "yeah, so as @HeadwaysMatter pointed out, the witness says the thing that made the kid fall off his bike was a combination of bad driveway curbcuts, a street sign in the middle of the sidewalk, and garbage cans left in the sidewalk. he didn't just randomly fall off his bike."

This post shows the trash cans and sign post that obstructed the cyclist.
    Last edited by elbows; 08-01-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like he went to the left of the sign in the middle of the sidewalk because the right side was blocked by trash(Google StreetView link), and curb cuts in some parts of Maryland are steeper than in VA, so any slight leaning left or right would cause the rider to lose balance from the steep "jump" and fall toward the road. In the few times that I biked in Maryland, these driveway cuts surprised me, and didn't take me long to recognize how dangerous they are. MD should stop making these steep curb cuts.

My condolences to the family and everyone affected
    Last edited by n18; 08-01-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the insights, elbows and n18. Horrible and heartbreaking.