Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asphalt seams on Custis

Post Thanks / Like

Default Asphalt seams on Custis

New (to me) on this morning's commute.

At the bridge over the 66W Glebe Road exit on the Custis (eastbound - climb, westbound - descent), there are new asphalt seams on either end of the bridge to smooth the lip of the concrete. Much nicer not having to hop over them.
    Last edited by TimV; 08-01-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post

At the bridge over the 66W Glebe Road exit on the Custis (eastbound - climb, westbound - descent), there are new asphalt seams on either end of the bridge to smooth the lip of the concrete. Much nicer not having to hop over them.
    Yes, they did this yesterday between the morning and afternoon commutes. I never minded the westbound lip, but eastbound always made me worry about flatting, though I never did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post

Oh happy day!
    I recently tried a minor hop (eastbound) at that bad seam joint, and managed to derail the chain in the process right there.

4. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoB50 View Post
    Oh happy day!
    I recently tried a minor hop (eastbound) at that bad seam joint, and managed to derail the chain in the process right there.
    I too am bad at bunny hops uphill. Downhill fine; uphill I'm likely to mistime it and make it worse.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s great news. If the repair crew wants to “keep up the good work,” I’d put on their list the lip to get over the I-66 foot bridge near Madison Manor Park, where my chain has flown off multiple times (including one time last year that resulted in a knee-full of stitches).

7. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately there are just way too many of these asphalt to cement bumps throughout the region. The multiple repaired pair of bumps on the 4MRT by S Cleveland St in Arna Valley are getting pretty bad again.

Post Thanks / Like

Meanwhile, I'm over here like "aw yeah, the root/frost heaves are coming back on the custis where they just repaired it!" (the westbound downhill section near Uhle St)

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Meanwhile, I'm over here like "aw yeah, the root/frost heaves are coming back on the custis where they just repaired it!" (the westbound downhill section near Uhle St)
    The bumps are also coming back on the W&OD going downhill heading west to go under the US15 bypass on the east side of Leesburg. They repaved this section last summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    The bumps are also coming back on the W&OD going downhill heading west to go under the US15 bypass on the east side of Leesburg. They repaved this section last summer.
    I wonder if there is an affordable technological solution to the root-heave problem on trails, other than eradicating all trailside trees? Maybe it's something the League of American Cyclists or Rails-to-Trails Conservancy could study?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    I wonder if there is an affordable technological solution to the root-heave problem on trails, other than eradicating all trailside trees? Maybe it's something the League of American Cyclists or Rails-to-Trails Conservancy could study?
    Bump jumping
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDGzI-OBxgA

This one's for you, bentbike:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekefr3xH3y8

14. Likes bentbike33, ChristoB50 liked this post