Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Protected intersection in Silver Spring

Post Thanks / Like

Default Protected intersection in Silver Spring

I just noticed this on the WAMU web site:
    https://wamu.org/story/19/08/06/silv...ut-what-is-it/

I hope it works and DC and VA take note.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    I just noticed this on the WAMU web site:
    https://wamu.org/story/19/08/06/silv...ut-what-is-it/

I hope it works and DC and VA take note.
    This is new to me (and probably a lot of us), but anyone have any idea if biking through the intersection where the cars go through will be discouraged or illegal? I put some pink arrows in the screen cap below to show what I mean.

I love any (sensible) bike infrastructure being integrated into our community, so this is not meant as a criticism. I'm just curious.

Name:  leftturnintersection.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  19.3 KB

3. Likes ChristoB50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing it would not be illegal for a bike rider to proceed like a vehicle through the intersection, but that's not to say there won't be vigilante drivers providing substantial discouragement.

Post Thanks / Like

Maryland has a law requiring bike lane usage. The intersection design presented here is an excellent example of why we need to push for repeal of such laws.

6. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The Dutch intersection in the GIF facilitates straight-through cycling at moderate speeds. With the Silver Spring design shown, cyclists would have to slow down substantially just to navigate the sharp turns, let alone opposite-direction riders. Also, pedestrians will choose the shortest route across the street and many will step into the path without looking. The gentler curvature of the Dutch version (and higher cycling mode share) provides more encouragement for peds to use the crosswalk exactly where it is painted.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Maryland has a law requiring bike lane usage. The intersection design presented here is an excellent example of why we need to push for repeal of such laws.

It makes an exception for cyclists turning left, IIRC. It does NOT envision a protected Copenhagen left as an option. I think a decent bike lawyer could make a case that the availability of a protected Copenhagen left does not make a vehicular left illegal under that law.

I do think the Maryland should be repealed, though, and I would oppose any such law in Virginia. There are better places than this to make case why its a bad law, I think.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 08-15-2019 at 09:08 AM.