Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Metropolitan Branch Trail Detour near R Street starts August 12

Post Thanks / Like

Default Metropolitan Branch Trail Detour near R Street starts August 12

For those not on Twitter or the MBT Facebook group: the planned detour to accommodate Tanner Park construction and the trail realignment to eliminate the zigzag is starting August 12. The detour should last a few months.

1. Per NoMaParks, the detour will be a protected cycletrack. The current plan is flexposts, but WABA is pushing for something a bit sturdier.
    2. The map is a bit misleading in noting no trail access from R Street. Technically correct, but - you access the detour from R which gets you to the trail.

They have a lot of work to do before the detour route is ready, so don't be shocked if the schedule shifts depending on weather, etc.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

2. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is actually pretty good, and I'm shocked that DDOT had anything at all to do with it. Kudos to WABA for sticking with this and getting what seems to be a pretty good result that should be replicated for every single construction site across the city. And I can't wait for that stupid S turn to be gone. The greater Washington area is only big enough for one S turn, and it is the S Turn of Doom on the Custis.

4. Likes LhasaCM, consularrider, Emm, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    This is actually pretty good, and I'm shocked that DDOT had anything at all to do with it. Kudos to WABA for sticking with this and getting what seems to be a pretty good result that should be replicated for every single construction site across the city. And I can't wait for that stupid S turn to be gone. The greater Washington area is only big enough for one S turn, and it is the S Turn of Doom on the Custis.
    You call it the S Turn of Doom, but I call it the S Turn of Fun.

6. Likes jrenaut, Sunyata, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Revised detour flyer shared today by NoMa Parks. Really just clarifies the treatment at R Street (some people were confused by the "no trail access" notation), and shows the plan for the detour width/protection (Flexposts/jersey barrier location is IMO backwards - jersey barriers between cyclists and pedestrians and flexposts between cars and bicycles - but is in the approved TCP. Hopefully that'll change.)

Name:  EA6Up6-XoAAGBVJ.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  98.0 KB