Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mount Vernon Trail Ride and Picnic - August 18th - FOMVT, FABB and BPAC Sponsored

Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mount Vernon Trail Ride and Picnic - August 18th - FOMVT, FABB and BPAC Sponsored

Join the Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail, Alexandria BPAC and Fairfax Alliance for Better Bicycling on August 18th for a ride from Jones Point to Fort Hunt for a picnic. Along the way we'll check out the crossings of the GW Parkway that are currently part of a safety study.

Details:

Start location: Jones Point Park next to the bathrooms
    Start time: 9:00 a.m.
    Picnic Location: Fort Hunt Park, Area E
    Picnic Time: 11 a.m.

NPS is currently studying safety at intersections on the southern part of the GW Parkway, and they're accepting public comments through August 21. On Sunday, August 18, let's bike to each of the 11 intersections in the study and use that experience to inform our comments. Because it's less than ideal to bike with a large group on the MVT on the weekend, we'll probably break into smaller groups of 4-5 people, each led by an experienced rider.

Along the way, each group will have the opportunity to observe issues like speeding on the parkway, the difficulty of crossing the parkway to get to the trail, and trail crossings where it's hard for drivers to see trail users (and vice versa). We'll then regroup at Fort Hunt, where we'll collectively discuss our observations, have a potluck picnic, and write up our individual comments (paper and pens will be provided). If anyone wants to join just for the picnic, they're welcome to do that too.

This ride is a joint effort of the Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail, the Fairfax Alliance for Better Bicycling and the Alexandria Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump.

The ride and picnic are happening this Sunday. I'll probably bake cookies for the potluck, and I'm happy to entertain requests for particular flavors.

3. Likes lordofthemark, dasgeh, Judd liked this post
    Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mount Vernon Trail Ride and Picnic - August 18th - FOMVT, FABB and BPAC Sponsored

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    Bump.

The ride and picnic are happening this Sunday. I'll probably bake cookies for the potluck, and I'm happy to entertain requests for particular flavors.
    Al the cookies.*

*Except for gingerbread which is gross because everything with ginger is gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Judd; 08-15-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Steve O is online now I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Although this will be useful, it will in no way represent the type of traffic people encounter trying to cross these intersections on weekdays.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump.

Can you bring some gingerbread cookies?

7. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    Steve O is online now I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Bump.

Can you bring some gingersnaps?

9. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Al the cookies.*

*Except for gingerbread which is gross because everything with ginger is gross.

11. Likes Judd, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bump.

All of your cookies that I have tried have been great. I wouldn’t turn down any cookie you make, however, my first choice would be your chocolate chip cookie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Al the cookies.
    Nickname of the slightly chubby and rather sweet mafioso.

14. Likes bentbike33, ChristoB50, Judd liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The cookies were excellent, and the ride was fun. It was fairly warm though.

16. Likes Judd, komorebi liked this post