Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclist struck on 1st NE at K (NoMa/Union Station area)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cyclist struck on 1st NE at K (NoMa/Union Station area)

A driver turning right failed to yield to the cyclist in the cycletrack.

https://www.popville.com/2019/07/car...d-to-cyclists/

Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yuck. I had a similar experience 2 weeks ago while headed southbound a block away, also on 1st St but at L St. Driver was turning left into me instead of right. (He ignored the left turn arrow, which was red.) Luckily, I had been watching him drive down 1st Street and had a nice preview of his terrible and aggressive driving when he tried to turn into me. I managed to stop in time and appreciated the righteous anger of the cyclists behind me. I hope this individual is ok. Glad a witness stepped up.
    Last edited by elbows; 08-01-2019 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added that I was southbound

Post Thanks / Like

I was just going to say, a mom from my kids' school was hit at 1st and L taking the kids home from school on the longtail about a year ago. Everyone was ok, but that area sucks. I think the only solution is to put red/green turn arrows for both right and left turns. It's the only way to get drivers to stop running people over

4. Likes dasgeh, Steve O, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Or ... put the southbound bike lane on the southbound side of the street?

6. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Or ... put the southbound bike lane on the southbound side of the street?
    People have been hit by left turners and by right turners. I don't think that's going to help

8. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    People have been hit by left turners and by right turners. I don't think that's going to help
    But which way were the cyclists going, with or counter the car traffic in the adjacent lane?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    But which way were the cyclists going, with or counter the car traffic in the adjacent lane?
    Not sure, but I don't think it matters. There are pedestrians on either side of the street as well - clearly drivers just aren't looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Not sure, but I don't think it matters. There are pedestrians on either side of the street as well - clearly drivers just aren't looking.
    They're not. There are left turn arrows for 1st street traffic turning onto K (both directions) and L (southbound 1st to eastbound L). I don't know how many times in the mornings and evenings the arrow turns green, and the driver doesn't move because they're too busy looking down at their phone or whatever, and then try to floor it as it turns red or just miss out on the light cycle.

Not to say that ALL drivers are bad...this stretch of road just seems to see a lot of bad ones.

12. Likes elbows, jrenaut, Steve O, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be curious to learn if collisions along this cycletrack have disproportionately affected southbound cyclists. (And for other facilities of similar designs.)

One would expect that drivers are far more accustomed to seeing bicyclists riding on the right edge of a street than bicyclists riding on the left edge of a street. So perhaps they are more likely to check for cyclists approaching from the south than for "salmons" coming from the north? Yes, pedestrians do travel both ways, but at much lower speeds.

14. Likes elbows, bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Not to say that ALL drivers are bad...
    Actually, all drivers are bad