Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Rockville cyclist killed during fundraising ride, 7/21/19

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rockville cyclist killed during fundraising ride, 7/21/19

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/rockville-cyclist-killed-during-fundraising-ride-authorities-say/2019/07/22/b70a9f14-ac34-11e9-a0c9-6d2d7818f3da_story.html

A Rockville woman was fatally injured in a collision on her bicycle in Frederick County, Md., Sunday while she was taking part in a fundraising event, according to the Maryland State Police.
    The police said Diane Centeno Deshields, 59, died after a collision with a car about 9:55 a.m. at Good Intent Road and Route 194. She was on Good Intent Road, and the car was southbound on Route 194, the police said.
    Deshields died at the scene, according to police. The intersection is about 15 miles northeast of the city of Frederick.
    The police said she was taking part in the Firefighter 50 Bicycle Ride. The ride’s website said it is a cycling event that raises funds for the Pleasant Valley Community Fire Department in Westminster, Md. The event is not a race, the website said.

2. Dislikes Starduster disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I made the mistake of reading the comments online (Fred News Post, Frederick Police etc) and they're just awful. Buried in the "no bikes on roads, they deserve what they get!" vitriol, someone did write that the woman came flying down the hill and wasn't able to stop for the intersection which made it sound like either she wasn't aware there was a stop sign at the bottom or her brakes failed (yes, I am passing along speculation).

Post Thanks / Like

My [dislikes] here are for this horrible news, and the equally horrible online comments. But we need an accident report or witness reports (ideally from her fellow riders) before we can safely speculate.

5. 07-22-2019, 02:36 PM