Likes Likes:  53
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bicycle Fun Club: SAVE THE DATE-- Arlington Public Arts Ride Saturday, July 27, 9 AM

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bicycle Fun Club: SAVE THE DATE-- Arlington Public Arts Ride Saturday, July 27, 9 AM

Bicycle Fun Club: SAVE THE DATE-- Arlington Public Arts Ride Saturday, July 27, 9 AM to about Noon

Many of you are already familiar with Arlington County's amazing public art: sculpture, murals, architecture! For others, this will be an exciting discovery. On Saturday, July 27 I am guiding a Bicycle Fun Club Tour of some of Arlington's best-loved public art! Expect to see familiar works, and some that will be new to you, all with history and background presented by me, using information provided by Arlingtonís Public Art Program.

As a special treat our tour will include Arlington's version of Stonehenge, Dark Star Park in Rosslyn. We will enjoy an almost perfect solar alignment (the actual lineup of shadows is a few days later (Aug 1, but during the work week. On this weekend visit, we can expect fewer crowds and an uninterrupted view!

This ride is open to everyone, and is comparable to the Alexandria water ride and the recent Kennilworth Lotus Blossom Fun Rides. The ride will be on Saturday morning, no-drop, using multi-use trails, bike lanes, and residential streets. Distance is approximately 12 miles total. There is a predicted break in the heat-wave, so I expect perfect biking weather. If you're thinking of joining us, please reply to this thread, so I'll know to look for you!

Dave

Coffee to start near the meet up and lunch at the finish (at an Arlington eatery) for those who want to join us. Itinerary and details are forthcoming by email and will be also posted on the Bike Arlington/WABA Forum under "Events"

Look forward to joining everyone for this educational and enjoyable ride.

Dave Pomeroy FFG

Images Source: Web page, Arlington County Public Arts, https://publicart.arlingtonva.us/col...nt-collection/, retrieved, July 18, 2019.

2. Likes MrTinDC, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bicycle Fun Club: SAVE THE DATE-- Arlington Public Arts Ride Saturday, July 27, 9:30 AM

Hello Everyone, this is an update for Saturday's Bicycle Fun Club Ride featuring a selection of Arlington County's Amazing Public Artworks.
    This should be a lot of fun, so I hope you will join us! If so, please reply to this thread or by email, so I'll know to look for you! If you know any one interested, they're welcome, too!
    I will have Arlington Arts hand-outs for everyone.

The ride begins and ends at the "Dark Star" Sculpture, beginning at 9:30 am and ending around noon.
    Those who are interested can meet beforehand for coffee/breakfast snacks at Compass Coffee, 1201 Wilson Blvd.
    We will make our way over to Dark Star at 9:30 to see the solar alignment which occurs shortly after that.

The ride features some of Arlington's most interesting public artworks from Rosslyn to Ballston to Crystal City and Long Bridge Park. The ride ends at Dark Star around noon, and we may want to consider grabbing some lunch at Cava or Chipoltle, both of which are nearby. Below is a link to the route with links to each of the artworks.

Link to the route
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30632765
    This ride is open to everyone, and is comparable to Komorebi's Alexandria water ride and Judd's Lotus Blossom Fun Rides. The ride will be on Saturday morning, July 27, no-drop, using multi-use trails, bike lanes, and residential streets. Distance is approximately 16 miles total and is a variation of the Arlington Loop. There is a predicted break in the heat-wave, so I expect perfect biking weather.

4. Likes KWL, Starduster, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dark Star sculpture is located at 1655 Fort Meyer Dr Arlington, VA 22209. This is where Lynn Street merges with Fort Meyer Drive (close to Route 50 and not far from Iwo Jima monument.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/16...!4d-77.0715055

The ride begins and ends at the "Dark Star" Sculpture, beginning at 9:30 am and ending around noon.
    Those who are interested can meet beforehand for coffee/breakfast snacks at Compass Coffee, 1201 Wilson Blvd.
    We will make our way over to Dark Star at 9:30 to see the solar alignment which occurs shortly after that.

6. Likes Judd, Boomer2U liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for organizing Dave. Iím planning on being there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm coming and bringing two friends.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested! What is the easiest way to get there from DC, for someone who has zero knowledge of Virginia geography aside from bike trails? Lol! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrTinDC View Post
    I'm interested! What is the easiest way to get there from DC, for someone who has zero knowledge of Virginia geography aside from bike trails? Lol! Thanks!
    Looks like the Key Bridge and a brief stint on Fort Myer Drive gets you there. Just stay far left, and go up (towards east Wilson Boulevard, not route 50).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 4.27.28 PM.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	20260

For Compass Coffee, I'd take Fort Myer, left on 19th, and a right on N Moore to get there.

11. Likes MrTinDC, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ted, Fantastic! This is going to be fun. I wasn't sure where you start in DC, but this option starts from Swings (FCC).
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30655886
    If you don't mind city streets you could alternatively take Pennsylvania Ave to M St, Key Br, and Ft Meyer Dr to Dark Star. Direct and easy via busy city streets.
    Meet before for coffee at Compass.(see route)

Dave

13. Likes MrTinDC, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both!!

Falls Church VA or Bristol UK 🇬🇧 or Brazil 🇧🇷
    Post Thanks / Like

I plan to attend this fun ride. Thanks @ FFG for organising, as Iím a big fan of both public art works and bicycles;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes MrTinDC, Fast Friendly Guy liked this post