Likes Likes:  54
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle Fun Club: SAVE THE DATE-- Arlington Public Arts Ride Saturday, July 27, 9 AM

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the Dark Star alignment this year was on Aug 1. https://parks.arlingtonva.us/locations/dark-star-park/

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Friendly Guy View Post
    Bicycle Fun Club: SAVE THE DATE-- Arlington Public Arts Ride Saturday, July 27, 9:30 AM

Hello Everyone, this is an update for Saturday's Bicycle Fun Club Ride featuring a selection of Arlington County's Amazing Public Artworks.
    This should be a lot of fun, so I hope you will join us! If so, please reply to this thread or by email, so I'll know to look for you! If you know any one interested, they're welcome, too!
    I will have Arlington Arts hand-outs for everyone.

The ride begins and ends at the "Dark Star" Sculpture, beginning at 9:30 am and ending around noon.
    Those who are interested can meet beforehand for coffee/breakfast snacks at Compass Coffee, 1201 Wilson Blvd.
    We will make our way over to Dark Star at 9:30 to see the solar alignment which occurs shortly after that.

The ride features some of Arlington's most interesting public artworks from Rosslyn to Ballston to Crystal City and Long Bridge Park. The ride ends at Dark Star around noon, and we may want to consider grabbing some lunch at Cava or Chipoltle, both of which are nearby. Below is a link to the route with links to each of the artworks.

Link to the route
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30632765
    This ride is open to everyone, and is comparable to Komorebi's Alexandria water ride and Judd's Lotus Blossom Fun Rides. The ride will be on Saturday morning, July 27, no-drop, using multi-use trails, bike lanes, and residential streets. Distance is approximately 16 miles total and is a variation of the Arlington Loop. There is a predicted break in the heat-wave, so I expect perfect biking weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ltierstein View Post
    I thought the Dark Star alignment this year was on Aug 1. https://parks.arlingtonva.us/locations/dark-star-park/
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Friendly Guy View Post
    As a special treat our tour will include Arlington's version of Stonehenge, Dark Star Park in Rosslyn. We will enjoy an almost perfect solar alignment (the actual lineup of shadows is a few days later (Aug 1, but during the work week. On this weekend visit, we can expect fewer crowds and an uninterrupted view!
    Yup

3. Likes Fast Friendly Guy, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bicycle Fun Club -- Looking Forward to Seeing You Tomorrow

Hello, Everyone! It looks like great weather for the Bicycle Fun Club Arlington Art Ride

Karen B and I plan to get to Compass Coffee a little before 9:00 and anyone interested can join us and the other early-birds for coffee/snacks.
    We will leave promptly at 9:30 for nearby Dark Star to see maximum shadow line-up (the actual lineup is a few days later, Aug 1, but during the work week.)

There's lots to see, so from there we will proceed to explore amazing art works along the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor. Time permitting, we will continue our ride to Shirlington, Crystal City, Long Bridge Park, and back to Rosslyn. For those who want a shorter ride, or if we are running out of time, I have an alternate shorter route back to Rosslyn with plenty of artworks to see. We will play it by ear with the original plan or shorter alternate.

See you tomorrow

Dave FFG

5. Likes Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And with the Tour de France Stage 20 shortened to just 59km, there is no reason to stay at home and watch what will be a boring bike race. See you there FFG.

7. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Dave for such an eye-opening and educational ride! Find my photos here and feel free to add yours.

Falls Church VA or Bristol UK 🇬🇧 or Brazil 🇧🇷
    Post Thanks / Like

A few pics from @FastFriendlyGuy’s fab public art works ride ... can’t wait until @FFG does the “by backlight after after dark” edition of this ride!
    I include some links to the official Arlington Arts Tour maps/guides if you want to go exploring on your own sometime, as @FFG and I did post-Ride to take in +11 works of art!!
    https://publicart.arlingtonva.us/res...-guided-tours/
    Dark Star Park, Rosslyn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bicycle Fun Club: SAVE THE DATE-- Arlington Public Arts Ride Saturday, July 27, 9 AM

Ned Kahn
    Liquid Pixels (2002)
    Stainless steel disks, stainless steel pins, injection molded plastic backing panels 1801 North Lynn Street
    “Quill” by Christian Moeller on N. Fort Myer Dr., Rosslyn (hides the power substation behind the facade)
    “Cupid’s Garden” by Chris Gardner
    Wilson Blvd. & Clarendon Blvd., Rosslyn
    “Anna and David” installed in 1987

Last edited by Boomer2U; 07-28-2019 at 08:29 AM.

11. Likes ChristoB50, Fast Friendly Guy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bicycle Fun Club: SAVE THE DATE-- Arlington Public Arts Ride Saturday, July 27, 9 AM

@CBGanimal admiring “Helix” at
    1800 Wilson Boulevard John Dreyfuss

@SteveO checking out my rear tire at “Helix” companion sculpture across the street from the Pelvis sculpture

@FFG sitting on “Dressed up and Pinned” by Vivian Beer, Wilson Blvd

Last edited by Boomer2U; 07-28-2019 at 08:19 AM.

13. Likes MrTinDC, ChristoB50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Untitled (2006) by Kendall Buster
    Powder-coated steel covered in greenhouse shade cloth
    1601 Wilson Boulevard, North Pierce (use street entrance at the Bennett Park Apartments Atrium)

Aya (2006) by Foon Sham
    Cherry and walnut wood

“Radiolaria”

Last edited by Boomer2U; 07-28-2019 at 12:16 PM.

15. Likes ChristoB50, Fast Friendly Guy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@FFG enjoying “Flame”

Flame (2006) by Ray King
    Glass, dichroic glass, laminated film, stainless steel cables and rods
    950 North Glebe Road

The Bicycle Fun Club at Bluemont Park rest stop

“Bike Oasis” by Butch Anthony at Barcroft Park Bicycle Kiosk

Last edited by Boomer2U; 07-28-2019 at 09:34 AM.

17. Likes ChristoB50, Fast Friendly Guy liked this post