Likes Likes:  52
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: July 2019 - Road and Trails Conditions

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    The last estimate I got from Arlington DPR is over $3M in damages. That estimate will probably increase as we go along, though.
    I think itís going to be way higher just from a walk on the stretch of Four Mile Run in my neighborhood. Lost a lot of the vegetation holding down the banks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Judd and others had pictures (you might recall the one with all the metal pieces from SteveO, although that looks cleared up in Judd's photos).
    I only use the W&OD in winter when it is dark for commuting - I much prefer the shade calmness of 4MRT to all the crossings and people on W&OD at all other times. So, please continue to post updates here.
    There are actually two trails under George Mason, one on either side of 4MRT. The signed route (if you notice the signs), when coming from Shirlington, has you first cross the stream on the sidewalk on George Mason, then turn right and go under George Mason and continue on the 4MRT along the parking lot of the apartment complex. The other option is to continue straight on the 4MRT from Shirlington, go under George Mason, then go up to George Mason, cross the water, and back to the trail through the parking lot. This one is less pleasant, but possible. Do they mention which one is closed?
    The corrugated metal was there last night but mostly on the other bank and out of frame of my pictures. It was passable last night but there was a large amount of debris left to remove including some trees. I couldnít tell if the metal pieces were from the underside of the bridge. If so, I could see how a two week closure was because of a need for repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Update on FMR Trail under George Mason: they will need to close both sides, but they will try to only close one side at a time and sign accordingly. For now, they've closed the south side.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another miracle?

I had heard rumors but had to check it out to make sure.

Yes! The crater farm on Boundary Channel Drive under 395 is now freshly paved and smooth.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post

Yes! The crater farm on Boundary Channel Drive under 395 is now freshly paved and smooth.
    Yep, rode through there after WTF CC on Thursday. Soooo smooooth!

6. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Update on FMR Trail under George Mason: they will need to close both sides, but they will try to only close one side at a time and sign accordingly. For now, they've closed the south side.
    I rode the south side today, it's partially blocked, but open. It looked like the north side was open. There was a truck on the 4MRT just south of George Mason picking up the corrugated metal sheets.

Before the south parking lot in Bluemont Park, about a ten foot section of the top layer of asphalt on the 4MRT is washed away.

The Wilson upderpass on the W&OD remains blocked and closed. There is a big chunk of the trail missing on the upstream side.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1024.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	20241 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1026.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	20242

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    How lovely! Drove through there this weekend -- like buttah!

9. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    please exercise appropriate caution and model good etiquette.
    Oh man thanks for the reminder wish I had seen this before my commute!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Holmes Run Trail Closure

From a City of Alexandria press release.

On July 8, Alexandria received a monthís worth of rain in approximately one hour, which created widespread flash flooding. As a result, Holmes Run stream levels surged over 12 feet causing significant damage to paved and unpaved sections of Holmes Run Trail.
    The damage has led to the Holmes Run Trail being closed for repairs west of the North Ripley Street crossing. The extent of the damage will result in extended trail closures. Although the eastbound connection to Holmes Run Trail is interrupted west of North Beauregard Street, the trail within Dora Kelley Nature Park is open to pedestrians.
    City staff are continuing to assess the damage at all City parks and trails and will be developing a mitigation and repair plan over the next few weeks. Further details and closure timeframes will be shared as they become available.
    There is a permanently signed high water detour that will connect you to the Holmes Run Trail west of Beauregard. The detour runs north on Peagram, west on Richenbacher/Sanger (crossing Van Dorn) to a south on Beauregard.

12. Likes bentbike33, Steve O, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MVT at Memorial Bridge they are working on the bridge right at the trail entrance on the north side. They appear to be repointing the brickwork. Use caution as workers may appear on the trail without warning (or looking).

14. Likes ChristoB50 liked this post