Likes Likes:  52
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: July 2019 - Road and Trails Conditions

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Arlington Parks and Rec cleared all the debris from Four Mile Run Trail yesterday. There’s some sand underneath some of the bridges. There is significant damage to the stream banks on 4MR. Lots of erosion and loss of trees and undergrowth. There’s some erosion encroaching on the W&OD.

The fair weather crossings were all silted yesterday and water was running over. Also some trail damage on Four Mile Run Trail west of Columbia Pike.

My pictures are at: https://twitter.com/juddlumberjack/s...562939392?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The last estimate I got from Arlington DPR is over $3M in damages. That estimate will probably increase as we go along, though.

3. Likes Steve O, Judd liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to give this it's own thread, because I doubt anyone ever bikes there (unless for stunt biking), but the Four Mile Run Trail under George Mason (you probably take the W&OD, which crosses G. Mason at grade nearby) will be closed for approximately two weeks to clear debris left by the storm.

I am curious how much debris was left to require two weeks of cleanup, if anyone grabs a picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I'm not going to give this it's own thread, because I doubt anyone ever bikes there (unless for stunt biking), but the Four Mile Run Trail under George Mason (you probably take the W&OD, which crosses G. Mason at grade nearby) will be closed for approximately two weeks to clear debris left by the storm.

I am curious how much debris was left to require two weeks of cleanup, if anyone grabs a picture.
    One week to send email and get a response, which will schedule the cleanup 6 days later, then one day for cleanup!

6. Likes Steve O, wheels&wings liked this post
    Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

That's my go to route to HDCC or any time I go to Shirlington.

This morning the Wilson Blvd underpass of the W&OD was fenced off and closed. The 4MRT slab ford at the south end of Glen Carlyn was silted up and about two inches deep with running water.

8. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Judd and others had pictures (you might recall the one with all the metal pieces from SteveO, although that looks cleared up in Judd's photos).
    I only use the W&OD in winter when it is dark for commuting - I much prefer the shade calmness of 4MRT to all the crossings and people on W&OD at all other times. So, please continue to post updates here.
    There are actually two trails under George Mason, one on either side of 4MRT. The signed route (if you notice the signs), when coming from Shirlington, has you first cross the stream on the sidewalk on George Mason, then turn right and go under George Mason and continue on the 4MRT along the parking lot of the apartment complex. The other option is to continue straight on the 4MRT from Shirlington, go under George Mason, then go up to George Mason, cross the water, and back to the trail through the parking lot. This one is less pleasant, but possible. Do they mention which one is closed?

10. Likes Judd, consularrider, huskerdont liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Judd and others had pictures (you might recall the one with all the metal pieces from SteveO, although that looks cleared up in Judd's photos).
    I only use the W&OD in winter when it is dark for commuting - I much prefer the shade calmness of 4MRT to all the crossings and people on W&OD at all other times. So, please continue to post updates here.
    There are actually two trails under George Mason, one on either side of 4MRT. The signed route (if you notice the signs), when coming from Shirlington, has you first cross the stream on the sidewalk on George Mason, then turn right and go under George Mason and continue on the 4MRT along the parking lot of the apartment complex. The other option is to continue straight on the 4MRT from Shirlington, go under George Mason, then go up to George Mason, cross the water, and back to the trail through the parking lot. This one is less pleasant, but possible. Do they mention which one is closed?
    Monday night the one on the apartment side was open.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Pretty sure the signed route is officially the FMR Trail. I'll confirm.

Post Thanks / Like

Last night, the "east side underpass" route (red route in my image) was open -- bikers were coming through while I was parked there looking at the debris field.
    I could not tell if the "west side underpass" (blue route) was open -- there were workers on the roadway over that route, with stuff hanging beneath them -- I'd suspect it was closed, but I couldn't tell from my vantage point.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cloverleaf.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	20237

Post Thanks / Like

An absolutely freakin' gorgeous day today means higher volume on the trails - please exercise appropriate caution and model good etiquette.