Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: July 2019 - Road and Trails Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default July 2019 - Road and Trails Conditions

Starting this thread because I imagine that a lot of members will have important information to post about what they find after this morning's deluge.

2. Likes buschwacker, josh, KWL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Edited for update from neighborhood: "Clarification - the pedestrian bridges on the main W&OD trail are ok, some trees block the path just north of the turtle pond, but otherwise good. The bridges off to the side (west side access lots) between 50 and Columbia Pike are completely out - swept away or mangled."

I live by the two W&OD Bridges on either side of the confluence with Lubber Run. There are several bridges between 50 and Columbia Pike. My neighborhood list serve says "both bridges are out." I'm at work downtown and can't investigate, but that would be good to know. They might be talking about some of the miscellaneous pedestrian bridges too. Lubber Run had a bridge swept away behind the amphitheater at Columbus and 2nd St North.
    Last edited by Brendan von Buckingham; 07-08-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I rode the W&OD and Custis from Falls Church through the Ballston Connector around 11am this morning, and everything was OK, just a lot of detritus deposited by high water (e.g. under 66). There were a couple places that still had standing water, but it wasn't that bad.

Around 9am it wasn't looking too good, but it had all drained within two hours.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190708_084817.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	20212

Name:	IMG_20190708_084811.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	20213

Name:	IMG_20190708_105535.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	20214

Name:	IMG_20190708_111123.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	20215
    Last edited by josh; 07-08-2019 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Added more photos

Post Thanks / Like

I need to get home from Rosslyn to Alexandria (Del Ray neighborhood) this afternoon. Anyone know if the MVT is passable Rosslyn to DCA? Anyone know about 4MRT from MVT to Route 1? I think I might get off the MVT at Crystal City since the water will likely be high at the Potomac end of 4MR for as long as it takes Arlington County to drain :-)

6. Likes Judd liked this post
    Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Four Mile Run underpasses are all a mess with debris. Good day to take the bus or your back up street route.

https://twitter.com/elizg23/status/1...644707841?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Overtone View Post
    I need to get home from Rosslyn to Alexandria (Del Ray neighborhood) this afternoon. Anyone know if the MVT is passable Rosslyn to DCA? Anyone know about 4MRT from MVT to Route 1? I think I might get off the MVT at Crystal City since the water will likely be high at the Potomac end of 4MR for as long as it takes Arlington County to drain :-)
    If you're looking for a probably-not-too-flooded/affected-by-flood-debris route, I'd try this one. (110 Trail to 27 Trail, around the Pentagon to Fern to Eads).

9. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the updates on trail conditions. I am riding later today. Would you say the W&OD is covered more by flotsam than jetsam? Or is it the reverse?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    If you're looking for a probably-not-too-flooded/affected-by-flood-debris route, I'd try this one. (110 Trail to 27 Trail, around the Pentagon to Fern to Eads).
    Thank you so much! Never tried that route. Looks like I'll get to learn something new today. The sun is out, time to head out and try to get home.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so I rode today from Chevy Chase to Falls Church and back using Rock Creek, Custis, W and OD and back here is what I saw:
    1. Rock Creek trail OK from Broad Branch to Zoo. South of that (ie around P street) it's usually pretty bad after a hard rain, but I didn't go that way.
    2. Custis is all clear but lots of debris (I don't know the difference between flotsam and jetsam)--only real problematic in between the two sisters--if you are going eastbound you'll have to brake right near the bottom of the first hill.
    3. The connector trail (ie under I66) has gravel and even small rocks covering the trail.
    4. W and OD was fairly good with some areas with a bit of debris.
    5. CCT has a big tree down on it that makes it nearly impossible to pass (I'm stubborn and managed to find a path through but it took me about 5 minutes to squeeze myself and my bike) around mile 9.5. There was a tree down yesterday as well but that's gone now.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have any info on the condition of Rock Creek Trail between Maine Ave and Woodley Park?