Likes Likes:  52
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: July 2019 - Road and Trails Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Commuters on the CCT are advised to stay on the Towpath to Fletcher's.

Post Thanks / Like

Like most already posted...WO&D between Custis and Shirlington is rideable with a bit of debris. But 4mile run along the WO&D is unpassable....

Under S. George Mason

Under and around Carlin Springs

Post Thanks / Like

The Ballston Mall Parking garage off of Glebe Rd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Cars floated into each other and most were inundated with water behind the Carlton and Brittany Condos! I helped one lady remove the belongings out of a totaled car. She was tankful she hadn’t bought the new car yet...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the routes through the middle of Arlington are okay. Pentagon City to Ballston via Joyce to Columbia Pike to Washington Blvd Trail (between Towers Park and rt50) to the little trails in Lyon Park to the neighborhood between Pershing and Wilson were all clear, except for minor debris (all flotsam since it is unlikely people jettisoned the material to reduce their weight in the water (to answer the flotsam vs jetsam question too)). On Custis there was debris under George Mason, but very passable.

Anyone know what MVT between Rosslyn and 14th bridge is like? Wondering for morning commute.

Post Thanks / Like

Part of my commute (not likely to affect other riders though) as of Monday morning:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flooding.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	20217
    First time in my 16 years living here that this level (building’s lowest level of apartments) flooded from the outside. I was very glad to be living on a higher floor as a bunch of us spent the morning trying to get as much water out as we could.
    Last edited by ChristoB50; 07-09-2019 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Fixed photo rotation

Post Thanks / Like

From this Call.Click.Connect request (follow the link for a photo) it sounds like Holmes Run trail has some problems even above the High Water detour: https://request.alexandriava.gov/CCC/?t=183625

Holmes run trail north of 395

Damage from the floods:

The dirt at the end of the boardwalk has been washed quite a bit, and is now covered with deep ruts

The river rock transition from the dirt to the concrete is gone and is now a foot deep pit

There is also a tree down on the trail

Remaining portions of the trail have dirt swept over it, and it looks like the ground around the trail lost quite a bit of soil

Also there is a large tree stuck into the bridge at the crossing near the lower end of Dora Kelly, on the Holmes run trail

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Anyone know what MVT between Rosslyn and 14th bridge is like? Wondering for morning commute.
    Answering my own question - MVT is just fine. I guess it was a good thing that this all happened near low tide. There is a big streak of flotsam in the river not far off the VA shore, but it isn't all over the trail like the flooding last year was.
    There still seems to be a porta-potty in the river just north of Memorial Bridge (I kind of thought that would have moved south of the bridge, but maybe it is stuck on something).

Post Thanks / Like

CCT is being cleared this morning, should be A-Okay by midday.

Post Thanks / Like

The C&O towpath from Chain Bridge to Georgetown is in good shape with nice puddles if you want.

11. Likes Judd, mikoglaces liked this post